Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Dec 22,16 
Westrec Marinas December 19, 2016
541 N. Fairbanks, #1020
Chicago, IL 60611
www.westrec.com
www.chicagoharbors.com

Dear North Point Boaters:

Happy Holidays from Westrec Marinas. Even though the first snow has fallen this winter and most of us are thinking about holiday activities instead of boating, we are anxious to talk to you about what is going on with North Point Marina.

As you may know, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) put out a Request For Proposal (RFP) this past summer for the management of North Point Marina. Our company, Westrec Marinas, responded to the RFP and was recently chosen by the IDNR to take over North Point Marina. We are writing for three reasons: First, to introduce Westrec; second, to give you an idea of our short plans for North Point; and third, to talk about slip renewals for the 2017 boating season.

Westrec Marinas. Westrec is the nation's preeminent marina management company. We manage over 30 marinas around the country. In Illinois, we operate the 10 Chicago Harbors for the Chicago Park District and have systematically rebuilt and improved the harbors over the past 20 years. We encourage you to check us out at www.westrec.com and www.chicagoharbors.com.

Plans for North Point Marina. Westrec has some big plans for North Point Marina. So far, we've viewed the marina as outsiders, so our plans will almost certainly change once we've thoroughly inspected the facilities and met with boaters, but we thought we would give you a look at our preliminary plans:

Westrec will invest $2 million in short-term capital improvements over the next 18 months, including: swimming pool and bath facilities; dock renovation and reconfiguration; landscaping and parking lot repairs and renovation; washroom renovation; equipment replacement; and Wi-Fi improvements with high speed internet.

Activities. Activities every two weeks during the summer of 2017, such as: music festival; venetian night; fitness challenge; fireworks; and kid's fishing derby.

Customer service. Customer service training for all employees; weekly communications of events and issues to North Point boaters; public boater meetings to discuss issues; and Saturday morning coffee and doughnuts with the manager.

Slip Renewal for 2017. As you have probably noticed, you have not received a contract for the 2017 boating season from North Point. The reason for this is the transition between the IDNR and Westrec management. The timing for the formal takeover by Westrec is probably around February 1, 2017. In the meantime, we at Westrec want you to know that we want you back for 2017. As a result, WE WILL HONOR THE RATES AND PROGRAMS FOR 2016 SEASON FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS IN 2017. We simply ask that you fill out the online form at www.westrec.com/np-renew stating your intention to return so that we can reserve your spot for 2017. We will send you a contract as soon as we formally take over.

Boat Show. We hope to see you at the Chicago Boat, RV & Strictly Sail Show, to be held at McCormick Place on January 11th-15th. For all North Point Boaters who return their slip renewal forms by January 4th, Westrec will provide two free tickets to the boat show.

We sincerely look forward to getting to know you and to serving you at North Point Marina. Over the next three months, we will be appointing an experienced manager and assembling an enthusiastic staff to make North Point Marina a first-class facility. We wish you a happy and joyous holiday season.

Sincerely,

Scott Stevenson
Executive Vice President

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Dec 22,16 
Northpoint slip owners get the lube ready!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20pm - Dec 22,16 
Are they taking over the launch too

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:06am - Dec 23,16 
I was hoping Siegel Gallagher which runs Reef Point in Racine was going to take over Northpoint. It's tough to envision positives coming from anything in bed with the city of Chicago

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:28am - Dec 23,16 
4season angler wrote:
Are they taking over the launch too

Yep, everything there.

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:30am - Dec 23,16 
firstin wrote:
I was hoping Siegel Gallagher which runs Reef Point in Racine was going to take over Northpoint. It's tough to envision positives coming from anything in bed with the city of Chicago

That's the fear, but since it's only 30% occupied I hope for a more welcoming attitude. We'll see?

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54am - Dec 23,16 
It probably means very expensive launch fee's!!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:56am - Dec 23,16 
My thoughts are with "Limitout", what can we expect in the way of launch fees?j
Just checked out the Westrec Marina website. It appears the average launch fee in Chicago is $26.00!!!!!
That's a bit too rich for me! Guess I'll be going up to Northpoint even less now. :(

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Dec 23,16 
I believe that ALL Boat Launch ramps in a Illinois State Park are free and have been for years and years. Additionally Illinois doesn't charge a Park entrance fee/sticker like so many of the surrounding states do. Now parking maybe something that they can charge a fee for. I sure hope that I'm correct on the launch fees!

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 10:30am - Dec 23,16 
2nd Chance wrote:
My thoughts are with "Limitout", what can we expect in the way of launch fees?j
Just checked out the Westrec Marina website. It appears the average launch fee in Chicago is $26.00!!!!!
That's a bit too rich for me! Guess I'll be going up to Northpoint even less now. :(

And the hours of the launch is 5:30am to 11pm.

Season pass only works at certain times and not on holidays.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:37pm - Dec 23,16 
Let's hope for a Christmas Miracle! Would really stink to lose one more good thing! Or have to pay a huge fee to do something we all love. Fingers crossed.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Dec 23,16 
Chicago launch fee is 29 dollars. Not sure what direction they will go but if they don't want boaters going to a mostly closer for everyone waukegan they better stay cheaper.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:49pm - Dec 23,16 
For those who haven't seen this, there are a lot of changes coming to the Lake Country Waterfront.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:44am - Feb 4,17 
ToddM wrote:
Chicago launch fee is 29 dollars. Not sure what direction they will go but if they don't want boaters going to a mostly closer for everyone waukegan they better stay cheaper.

FWIW, It was $27 in 2017. But still in IMHO too expensive particularly considering what you get for it by comparison to nearby non-westrec marinas. Diversey harbor, managed by westrec, limited launch hours. Based on the existing structure, yes they claim to have made/arranged concessions in favor of daily launch anglers, again IMHO is absurd. The woefully disgusting portajons? While the slip boaters have new brick/mortar, gated and passcode locked shower/restroom. But they're "working to help the fishermen." Fish cleaning station(s)? Diversely=ZERO. I've seen one down at burnham but it's been locked every time I've been there. Don't know about the new 31st street or any others. But they're working to help the fishermen." Or should it read, "They're working to help the fishermen?" Been a annual launch pass holder for 9 years going on 10 and I have yet to honestly say I've EVER been satisfied with the return on my annual launch pass fees.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Feb 4,17 
Illinois state park launches are free. Very simple.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Feb 5,17 
Ukie1 wrote:
Illinois state park launches are free. Very simple.

i dont think its a state controlled park but even if it is all bets are off
west trek will bleed it for every dime they can

cal park 95th street is 25 bucks to launch 6 bucks a hour to park when they are having soccer games witch is about every day in the summer
the ramps and parking lot are in horrible shape kids riding their bikes off the end of launch ramp piers jet skis every where and not obeying any laws
i go straight to hammond or some where in indiana

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:43pm - Feb 14,17 
My previous statement amended/corrected

FWIW, It was $27 in 2017. But still in IMHO too expensive particularly considering what you get for it by comparison to nearby non-westrec marinas. Diversey harbor, managed by westrec, limited launch hours. Based on the existing structure, yes they claim to have made/arranged concessions in favor of daily launch anglers, again IMHO is absurd. The woefully disgusting portajons? While the slip boaters have new brick/mortar, gated and passcode locked shower/restroom. But they're "working to help the fishermen." Fish cleaning station(s)? Diversely=ZERO. I've seen one down at burnham but it's been locked every time I've been there. Don't know about the new 31st street or any others. But they're working, "to help the fishermen" Or should it read, "They're working to help the slipped/docked boaters?" Been a annual launch pass holder for 9 years going on 10 and I have yet to honestly say I've EVER been satisfied with the return on my annual launch pass fees.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Feb 15,17 
Again the launch at North Point is part of the State park. It is free. The marina is leased to Westrec for them to manage. Just called the State park to clarify. nere is the link. https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Page ... Beach.aspx

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:50am - Feb 15,17 
Ukie1 wrote:
Again the launch at North Point is part of the State park. It is free. The marina is leased to Westrec for them to manage. Just called the State park to clarify. nere is the link. https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Page ... Beach.aspx

Ukie1,
I hope it stays that way and haven't heard it will change. But there is no law that requires it to be that way and several times over the last few years there was talk of starting charge a fee.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: