Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:29am - Oct 5,13 
You should support waukegan as a tournament port since they donate to the kids derby. dont cut off your sponsors after allt hat is one of the two places salmon unlimited started and started imprinting fish.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Oct 5,13 
having a tournament in waukegan in the spring would patronize the harbor were our club started and imprinted fish and one of our kids derby sponsors.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:05am - Oct 6,13 
Now this is a challenging subject. I really hate contributing to controversial issues and shaking things up, which is why I held off on any of my personal commentary, however I do have some mixed feelings about this and here's how I feel about the subject.

I'm starting to see from both sides of the coin as I'm considering to upgrade from a trailered to a slipped boat at North Point. With my garage kept trailered boat I could easily pick my port up to this point and I personally like Northpoint better than any other port I've been at, but that's just my opinion and does not add any weight to the issue one way or the other. This issue is what's best for the club and all it's members. No matter what, there is no way to please everyone unfortunately.

What does weigh heavily into North Point as Tournament HQ is that in recent years it has been established as ground zero for the SU IL tournaments with SU IL raising money for and contributed significantly to upgrading the public facility with new grinders and more recently is about to break ground on an HQ pavilion that will be available to the general public at all times that the club is not using it for tournaments. It would be great if the club could do this at all public ports in IL, but that would obviously require the club to grow in memberships and donations exponentially from up and down the Illinois lakefront, and is beyond expectation of any club - not to say it could not grow to this point over the next decade or so provided that that the lake continues to supply us with plentiful bounties and tournament participation continues to grow. :wink:

Earlier in the season when someone posted something about not competing in the club tournaments at North Point because of logistics I felt bad for them and thought something should be done about it. Now looking at the broader picture from a different perspective, moving the tournament up and down the lakefront from the north end to the south end would be doing exactly the same thing to the regular tournament boats that have settled in on North Point, and that would shake things up enough that they start dropping out of the tournaments due to logistics and cost. I personally would likely not go further south than Waukegan if I have a slipped boat, just like many of the slipped boats south of Waukegan will not go up to North Point for the club tournaments. My next boat will be trailerable regardless, but if it's in a slip at North Point that would mean driving from Lake in the Hills to Winthrop Harbor, taking out the boat, trailering it south, launching, fishing, trailering back to Winthrop Harbor, and putting it back in the slip - probably not going to happen. Many of the other tournament boats and major contributors to the club would likely have to fork out several hundred additional $$$ in fuel cost to make trips further south for these (fun) tournaments that only pay out just enough for bragging rights. My guess is there would be a significant drop on those boats being in tournaments south of Waukegan.

In my opinion having tournaments out of Waukegan would be inconvenient for us North Point guys, but not any more inconvenient than it is for the guys coming up from Waukegan slips. If it's considered by SU to do this I would fish Waukegan and it would hopefully attract a few new members to join in the tournaments from further south and not affect the number of boats that join in the fun from North Point. If this is done for one or more tournaments as an experiment I would hope that all the Waukegan guys would work hard in advance to proactively recruiting new tournament boat participation from their neighbors and friends in Waukegan and further south, and make it worth while for the club to consider growing in that direction. I would also hope that Waukegan would extent free launch and slips to tournament boats to help encourage this movement.

If by moving any number of tournaments to Waukegan proves to increase tournament participation in the coming years with more boats from Waukegan and beyond to the point of supporting a satellite location, I would think that would be enough to convince the club to even consider it. I think testing the waters with a few tournaments in Waukegan would be a necessary step to see if there would be enough additional participation to even consider dealing with a satellite location. And if that works like Kevin said "the skys the limit"... one step at a time.

:watr

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Oct 10,13 
The smaller boats cant always run where the bigger boats runin tournaments. If the fish are in waukegan early spring why waste gas and run time from northpoint.There are always open slips by the ramp

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:09pm - Oct 10,13 
salmonangler11 wrote:
The smaller boats cant always run where the bigger boats runin tournaments. If the fish are in waukegan early spring why waste gas and run time from northpoint.There are always open slips by the ramp

Things are not that simple. The north harbor has been closed - vacant for the dredging - superfund cleanup. Should be open next spring. Open does not mean free. We try to make things to be as fair as possible. I have had some interesting conversations with Waukegan. Following the big boats ?? The Challange is to have fun doing the best you can with the rig and conditions of the day! There are times a small fast boat is King!

More later.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Oct 14,13 
I was at the meeting in Oct. The question came up as to tournaments> Jim Nelligan asked if anyone wanted talk about them. Only one person asked if we could start at a later time? SO we talked about having a night tournament at North Point in Aug. Nothing set in stone just threw the ideal around, as well as starting at a later time in the morning the subject is still open for discussing We have a couple of months to talk about tournaments before we have to come up with a schedule that does not conflict with the other tournaments----- no one even brought up a question about locations.
If enough of our members want a tournament out of Waukegan Harbor those members have to contact the board members they elected to represent the membership or get to a meeting and bring the subject up. Our club by laws allow only members to vote on something if nothing is brought up and enough interest is not generated by members of the club, the chairman of the committee will make suggestions and the board will mostly approve it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:26pm - Oct 15,13 
north harbor has not been close fyi

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Oct 15,13 
salmonangler11 wrote:
north harbor has not been close fyi

The slips and piers that made up the port districts (non industrial) north harbor seasonal - transiant dockage was closed and better than 50% demolished last year. Environmental dredging finished this year. Reconstruction Hopefuly done in time to reopen next season. fyi

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: