Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:40pm - Sep 14,13 
I think the 6 tournaments next year shold be a a 2-2-2 port 2 at waukegan 2 at northpoint 2 at kenosha .Instead of all 6 at northpoint . in the oldin days we use to travel the lake in su. Plus you will follow the fish north.

Jeff

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:51pm - Sep 14,13 
Jeff,
I don't speak for the club. In my opinion if participation wouldn't drop, multiple sites is interesting. I would like to see something out of Waukegan. We are SU IL, I enjoy fishing WI waters but asking club members to leave the state for a club competition?? No. Both SU WI and IN have events people can fish if they want to.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:58pm - Sep 15,13 
Since 1971 there was tournaments all around the lake for su illinois held by su illinois
started in indianda ,chicago,waukegan,kenosha racine,shebogan,algoma,south haven,ludington,manistee.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:11am - Sep 16,13 
Most of the tournament boats that fish the north point tournaments ride to kenosha and racine for the catch and the dont mind he out of the state ride by boat.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:10am - Sep 16,13 
I think that would be great except one thing in 1971 fuel prices were cheap there were 3 times the amount of boats on the lake, today at 5 dollars a gallon 35 to 55 dollars over night slip fees and the amount of winnings for club tourneys payout it just wouldnt add up

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:37pm - Sep 16,13 
I think we already do the Waukegan N point Kenosha thing every tournament. In the spring most boats go South. Late in the summer most go North.
True S.U. had tournaments all around the lake and early on had lots of participation. The last year we had a tournament in Port Washington I think we had 5 boats.
Cost does have a lot to do with it.
We can talk about having tournaments at different ports and vote on it at the meetings.
I would like to see more participation possible to have a Chicago and North Point tournament going on the same day and call in the points but would need a tournament crew for each location cooking crew for each location. Lots to talk about in the off season.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Sep 16,13 
the most trailer boats 18-22 feet dont have the rage of 30 footers in high wave conditions or gas capacity to run to waukegan or racine from north point.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:46pm - Sep 16,13 
Racine has the WI SU Open in early June and salmon a rama in mid July and Kenosha has the Coho Classic in mid June if you want to fish in those ports. Many of us SU IL members fish those tournaments, so the opportunity to travel is already there.

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Sep 17,13 
Nicely put Jim (Jawzon) & Jim (Greylion) & I remember fishing some of those tourneys traveling, was easier when had smaller boat.

Mike

St. Baldrick’s Foundation helping kids with cancer. Donate here: Every Penny Helps Cure Childhood Cancer
and I'll post a picture of my bald mellon!
 Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:14pm - Sep 20,13 
whats wrtong with half at waaukegan?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:15am - Sep 21,13 
NP has storage facilities for scales, tables, chairs, etc
Hopefully covered Pavilion next season.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:03am - Sep 21,13 
I'm hoping we can extend the fishing zone - maybe add a mile to the northern boundary? That north line cuts right in the middle of some prime fishing...... Or get rid of the zone all together.

I'd vote for keeping all the tourns out of NP. Bubb brings up a great point - its a pta lugging all that junk around in your car / boat!

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Sep 21,13 
It would be interesting to find out how many members that don't already fish our tournaments at NP would fish a Chicago event and how many that do the NP events would not fish one in Chicago?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:03am - Sep 29,13 
How manywould fish waukegan early spring?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:41pm - Sep 30,13 
I usually fish between 23N and 26N that time of year so basically would be fishing that water anyway. If we have the tournament at Waukegan I wonder where I would park the boat? is there a place to park a big boat for a while during the weigh in, by where the weigh in would be held. If not I would need to drive the fish down to Waukegan from North point. I think our rules state we need to bring the boat to the harbor mouth by end of the fishing period. I know there is a fee for the Ramps at Waukegan would people be willing to pay the fee for the day? If we get less boats to participate because the tournament is in Waukegan I would not be for it. If we can get more boats because it is in Waukegan I would be for it. If there is no place to park the boat and we do not change the rules I could not participate but would drive to Waukegan and help out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:52pm - Sep 30,13 
Kevin,

The harbor manager Brion may be willing to do something for the club like they do for the kids derby.

Has anyone asked if he would be willing to give ramp access and slips for the tourney?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:38pm - Sep 30,13 
Not that I know of. I think we would need to figure out if we can get more boats, if we fish Waukegan in the spring vs N. point. if we get free slips and ramps that would be a plus for the guys. I also think we will need to talk about rule changes as far as locations and a few other things. The Club usually does that stuff at the OCT- Dec meetings. Then Jim N the tournament Chair and our President puts together the schedule by Jan. There was a few guys wanting a tournament in Chicago as well. The last one was a flop but we can talk about that as well. We have tried this before because of lack of participation and help with the T.C. We have stuck to North Point. If there are guys willing to help do the weigh in cooking checking in boats and so forth I do not see why we could not have boats go out of a couple of ports and call in the scores. Sky is the limit but only so many people help out year after year. I think anything putting more pressure or stress on our most active members or president who basically does all the work at this point may end up giving him a nervous break down and we may end up loosing active members. I would suggest bringing it up at a meeting or going to the members only forum and starting a thread on what would get more members to the events. If there is enough positives Then those elected as officers and board members can decide what the club is going to do or not to do. We can also have a vote as a membership at a meeting. If enough members want a tournament at Waukegan or other ports then it would most likely happen if not it will not. Don't forget club elections are coming up soon.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:24pm - Sep 30,13 
Brion / Waukegan has been super generous with the club by donating slips and yearly launches for our raffles. He's really tried to promote the harbor, and has been a good friend to the club. I say we make it a go if we can get the logistics that were mentioned above taken care of. We also have to be sure that the core group of guys out of NP would be willing to make the trip. We fished Indiana / Diversey / Port W / Racine / and Kenosha when I started with SU. The tournament attendance got pretty weak at those ports - the NP guys are the ones that really brought the fun and participation back. Lets be sure not to mess that up.

I agree with Kevin about Jim N and what he does. Hopefully, someone will help out. (I'd be a good candidate if I can ever figure out how to make more than two tourns a year. ha ha)

Maybe make a Waukegan tournament that has an open participation? Keep regular rules for the tournament, but open the side bet for anyone who wants to get in? So for $20 or whatever we can have a bunch of people competing for the side bet. Not an official SU function / just a bunch of people fishing for fun. Then open up the cookout for anyone who wants to attend? Make the side bet and cookout an informal / fun get together. Just a thought....

Green Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11pm - Oct 1,13 
It took me about 4 years to learn how to fish NP. I don’t think I have much time left till the end of my life to learn other places structures, fish hang out places and so forth to be at the competitive level as the local fisherman are. That being said I don’t mean I would never fish other harbors, but I know it won’t be as successful as at places I already know about. My vote – NP.
Side Note: “If it’s not broken why fix it?” :noway

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:41pm - Oct 1,13 
Brion and the port district have been very good to us. I have had several conversations over the last few years about the why, why not's and how could they with them. Marc is rite they would help make it work. There also seems to be some interest in an open tournament like the one they used to have. (mayors cup?) hopefully the work putting the north harbor back together will make things more tournament friendly. I plan to meet with Brion about other things later this week. I can ask about the ideas above if there are no objections.

There are lots of great ideas! Would be great to get some of them done. The club depends on a core group of hard working volunteers any new project needs the help of more members.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: