Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:16am - Aug 5,13 
Our August 3rd tournament dawned with bumpy conditions and North winds with sunny skies. 16 boats fished the tournament with a couple of regulars out due to mechanical difficulties. The fishing was challenging to say the least, but as usual a few captains posted decent results and here they are:

1st place - Bad Medicine, Captain Chris Derue, 178.00 pts $80

2nd place - Fish N Crew, Captain Greg Williamson, 172.20 pts. $48

3rd place - Jawzon, Captain Jim Stepp, 163.00 pts. $32

Top Rookie Boat - Fish n Crew $75

Big Fish of Tournament - Bad Medicine 21.4 lb King $160

Big Target Fish - Fish n Crew, 8.2 lb Brown Trout $64

A big congratulations goes out to the winning boats with good results in tough conditions. So why was fishing so tough? Well, a few of us captains took our boats out on Saturday evening, Gladiator, Jawzon and Grey Lion from say 6:30 to dark and what a difference in the catch. I have never seen so many fish on the graph and all of us caught huge Kings in a short amount of time. I know we had a quad on and landed 3 giant Kings and the other boats had similar results. We need to have an evening tournament! :) That was the best couple hours of fishing all year for me, I think we had 15 fish? We were all a couple of miles North of the harbor in 60-100 fow and when we came back in the fireworks were going off from the festival at Northpoint, what a night! Epic.

Johnny Lazarich cooked his outstanding pulled pork with salad and corn on the cob and I saw a lot of happy faces, thanks again Johnny!

We have one more club tournament before our SU Open and it is August 17th. I hope we can get a big turn out for our last club party? You really can't have much more fun for $40 and it's worth it just for the great lunch Johnny cooks. I hope to see you there!

Captain Jim Nelligan
Tournament Chairman

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:14am - Aug 5,13 
The results are up!

Thank you Sarah Sandahl of the FISH n CREW for donating your time with some great photography! Going forward we will be including Sarah's photography with the results, so even if you didn't fish the tournament make sure to check out the results to see some great photos of the event. Waves were a bit challenging for my little 17' Tracker, but I still had a great time and am glad we were able to reel in a few fish to bring to the scale.

And for the food... YUM, that really hit the spot!!!

And for Saturday afternoon... holy cow I'm disappointed that I canceled my afternoon trip after hearing about the awesome fishing when talking to Gladiator and Follow Me Sunday morning, but that's fishing the big pond.

Click here to see the results and event photos for the August 3, 2013 tournament: http://www.salmonunlimitedinc.com/tournaments.html

Last edited by Patient Pursuit on 11:33am - Aug 5,13, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:23am - Aug 5,13 
I'm convinced when I had my boat washed it took all the luck with it. The boat was clean and smelling pretty but couldn't catch fish. :drink

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Aug 5,13 
Yesiree! Fishing and weather could have been better but the food was excellent. Congrats to the top three winners and especially Fish n Crew- they wound up with the most money!

As for the food, besides Johnny doing his performing his chef mastery, check the other server out... :respect

Bubbalouie wrote:
salmonangler11 wrote:
Excellent lunch today. The corn was awesome.

Yes it was... Thanks to Johnny Lazarich and Jim Nelligan- yep our President and server for the day. Pretty awesome that the Pres of SU not only picked up the corn, but helped dish it out.

Fantastic Lunch as usual John. :thanks :respect

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Aug 5,13 
Great to see you at the tournament Bubbalouie! This is the one photo I was missing. Ill make sure to get it on the tournament page. Feel free to send me any other photos that you would like considered for this and future tounaments.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Aug 5,13 
Is that Max's fourth helping at the BBQ? Afterall he is a lineman and he needs to beef up a bit.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:03pm - Aug 5,13 
Max is Da Man!

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Aug 5,13 
Patient Pursuit wrote:
The results are up!

Thank you Sarah Sandahl of the FISH n CREW for donating your time with some great photography! Going forward we will be including Sarah's photography with the results, so even if you didn't fish the tournament make sure to check out the results to see some great photos of the event. Waves were a bit challenging for my little 17' Tracker, but I still had a great time and am glad we were able to reel in a few fish to bring to the scale.

And for the food... YUM, that really hit the spot!!!

And for Saturday afternoon... holy cow I'm disappointed that I canceled my afternoon trip after hearing about the awesome fishing when talking to Gladiator and Follow Me Sunday morning, but that's fishing the big pond.

Click here to see the results and event photos for the August 3, 2013 tournament: http://www.salmonunlimitedinc.com/tournaments.html

I love the new results format Herb! Thanks Sarah!

Jim

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Aug 5,13 
twekd1 wrote:
I'm convinced when I had my boat washed it took all the luck with it. The boat was clean and smelling pretty but couldn't catch fish. :drink

I would have to say the same for our boat. i clean up for the tournament and our lake winnabago trip. Then we fish and fish like crap.Smelly the better

Jeff
Catch em plenty III

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:26pm - Aug 5,13 
There should be an award for the most creative cooler. That should go to Team Research.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:27am - Aug 6,13 
Love the new results page ! Think it shows what a good time we have. What a tough time it was getting our fish on Saturday. I think we changed our plan about 15 times before and during the tournament. Have to be willing to adapt out there and it paid off since we were the only boat to bring in 10 fish. Could not keep the big guys on the line no matter what we did. They must have been just lite biting and there is nothing we can do about that. At the start I saw a sign on the back of a beautiful big boat that said Follow Me , so we did, all the way to Racine ! We only wanted to stay there for about hour but we were catching everything but a brown including a 6# sheephead and a 15# king in 35 Fow. We made the decision since we went there for a brown we were not leaving till we got at least one. As luck would have it , it was a good plan to stay on the fish and we left there around 9:45 with 6 in the box and headed between the 2nd and 3rd hill at 4200 and started making our way back south. We got into some big fish that would not stay on for more than 6 min right away. Hay babe, ms nightcraller and a pearl w orange latterback were getting the most action. We finally got the 10th fish in the box and then nothing till time to run in. Really grateful for the great crew of fishermen we have and to Greg for believing in us and purchasing the boat ! Starboard outdrive got really noisy the last few minutes of our run in, ugh Oooo ! Hopefully we can get it taken care of before the last tournament.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:49am - Aug 6,13 
Forestfish, now that you guys have the boat figured out THE CREW is a force to be reconed with. All those years of shorefishing together, going to LMA seminars, networking and fishing on other boats sure is paying off! And thanks for the report!

Regarding the tournament results pages, I got a request last night for where someone should submit their photos for inclusion. I thought that if I start accepting member submitted photos that could really get out of control. However, that would also make it that much more fun at the same time. So after thinking about it more I would like to do that within a few limitations. First of all, as the official tournament photographer Sarah's photos will continue to be used for the winners. However, below what we have now I will add a section for member submitted fun photos. Like Forest stated, its nice to be able to capture the fun we had and share it though the photos. One thing I have always wanted to see more of was action photos out on the boat and photos that capture the fun you had. So if you have any fun or action photos you would like to contribute I will add instructions to the tournament pages as to how you can submit your photos in the next day or two.

Last edited by Patient Pursuit on 06:02am - Aug 6,13, edited 3 times in total.
 Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:50am - Aug 6,13 

A couple of more pictures

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:53am - Aug 6,13 

Big Brown Trout

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:03am - Aug 6,13 

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:24am - Aug 6,13 

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:05pm - Aug 6,13 
Forest you followed may plan to a T. I threw back those little ones changed the plan and got out deep- opps, congrats on a nice finish.
Jawson set up besides us out deep and ended up catching some steelhead all I got was two break offs and 6 lakers.
Have to say the companionship, weigh in and food was much better than the fishing that day.

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: