Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:24am - Apr 1,13 
Here's an interesting post on GLA about some salmon caught in Little Bay de Noc.

wire tagged salmon

I received a letter fro the Charlevoix DNR today about the 12 adipose fin clipped, fish heads I turned into them this fall. The fish were all caught within 20 miles of Escanaba harbor. ( Little Bay De Noc, MI ) The results suprised me.

ONE FISH FROM

anhapee kewanee 2011 (algoma wi)
strawberry creek 2011 (sturgeon bay wi)
various sites lake mi 2011
little calumet river 2011 (indiana)
jackson harbor chicago 2011 (cook illinois)

TWO FISH FROM

root river and milwaukee river 2010 (wi)
kids creek silver lake rd 2010 (traverse city mi)

THREE FISH FROM

little manistee R 9 mile bridge (manistee mi)

and for my trouble they sent me 8 lures.

thanks

johnkregs

BLITZKRIEG

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:29am - Apr 1,13 
All these fish were caught in 2012. It's amazing how far these fish travel, imagine some of the fish you caught and where they were stocked or naturally reproduced?

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:34am - Apr 1,13 
How do you identify a tagged fish?

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:55am - Apr 1,13 
frisbee3557 wrote:

All stocked Chinook Salmon from every state has a code ID tag inserted above their nose, if a King doesn't have one then it's assumed to be naturally reproduced. They also clip the adipose fin while installing the tag.

http://www.fws.gov/redbluff/he_cwt.asp

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:35pm - Apr 1,13 
This is the 3rd year for the USFWS doing the coded wire tag with the adipose clip. In theory, by 2015, any Chinook salmon caught without an adipose fin will be a wild (naturally reproduced) fish. This will give the fisheries managers the info they need to adjust stocking numbers to keep the predator/prey balance viable.

Jerry
Runnin' bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:13pm - Apr 1,13 
Greylion wrote:
frisbee3557 wrote:

All stocked Chinook Salmon from every state has a code ID tag inserted above their nose, if a King doesn't have one then it's assumed to be naturally reproduced. They also clip the adipose fin while installing the tag.

http://www.fws.gov/redbluff/he_cwt.asp

Thanks. In case anyone else is unsure what the clipped adipose fin looks like, I found this image online.

Looking at this and some pics from last year, I think we could have caught a good number of naturally produced kings!

Montrose Harbor
Channel 7

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:05am - Apr 2,13 
Can you see the tag when a fish is caught? Do you freeze the heads and then send in many at once?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:53am - Apr 2,13 
At all of our tournaments last year at Northpoint, the DNR had a young guy weighing and measuring the Kings we caught and removing the ID tag from the fish when it had one and recording all the data, and asking us where we caught it. I don't know if Illinois has a program for the recreational fisherman to turn in the tags and data on their own yet?

Jim

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:22am - Apr 2,13 
The first year class where you can reliably tell about the fin clip and the tag was the 2 year olds we were catching last fall, 3 year olds this year. The king in the photo above is too old and too big and would have been planted before all kings were being clipped. It could be natural, but there would have been no way to know. By 2015 almost all fish planted before the full clipping process began should be dead, so that's why Jerry and others rightfully say that beginning in 2015 we should all be able to tell then whether a fish is natural or planted. A rare king may live 5 years, not four so 1015 all the 4 year olds planted before they were all clipped will be gone. There may be a few freak 5 year olds still hanging around, but very little.

We had DNR and Natural History Survey fisheries biologists out last fall on a few trips and caught several 2 year olds. Every one was a non-clipped fish, which either means it was from natural reproduction, or that the multi-million dollar machine doesn't work.

We have fisheries biologists at the Trollers Unlimited meeting this Thursday (4/4/13). I'll post about sportfishermen saving heads, but my understanding is that between the fish collected at the cleaning stations on weekends, at the weigh-in at tournaments, from us and a few other charter boats, and those collected spawning, they actually get more fish than their limited, budget-reduced staff can handle now.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:57am - Apr 2,13 
steelheadtroller wrote:
The first year class where you can reliably tell about the fin clip and the tag was the 2 year olds we were catching last fall, 3 year olds this year. The king in the photo above is too old and too big and would have been planted before all kings were being clipped. It could be natural, but there would have been no way to know. By 2015 almost all fish planted before the full clipping process began should be dead, so that's why Jerry and others rightfully say that beginning in 2015 we should all be able to tell then whether a fish is natural or planted. A rare king may live 5 years, not four so 1015 all the 4 year olds planted before they were all clipped will be gone. There may be a few freak 5 year olds still hanging around, but very little.

We had DNR and Natural History Survey fisheries biologists out last fall on a few trips and caught several 2 year olds. Every one was a non-clipped fish, which either means it was from natural reproduction, or that the multi-million dollar machine doesn't work.

We have fisheries biologists at the Trollers Unlimited meeting this Thursday (4/4/13). I'll post about sportfishermen saving heads, but my understanding is that between the fish collected at the cleaning stations on weekends, at the weigh-in at tournaments, from us and a few other charter boats, and those collected spawning, they actually get more fish than their limited, budget-reduced staff can handle now.

Thanks for the explanation!

Montrose Harbor
Channel 7

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: