Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:59am - Jul 6,10 
I've never been much of a tournament guy but after the most recent newsletter I was wondering which member participate in the club tournaments and what size boat you fish out of?

I'm still not sure if tournament fishing is my cup of tea but I would like to come out and support the club in some way and meet a few guys.

Thanks.

Banned

Post Posted: 12:35pm - Jul 6,10 
22.5 and have competed in each tournament.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:38pm - Jul 6,10 
pmjasper,
I started fishing the tournaments last year and wish I hadn't put it off for so many years. Come on out and try one. Boat sizes vary 17 - 40+ ft. A lot of us are in smaller boats. This year there is a small boat prize (thanks Jim), $100 to the boat under 24' with the best catch, prize for biggest target fish and a big fish side bet. Plenty of food and fun after. If you can't get a crew together, send me a PM a few days before the next tourny, some of the crew will be out of town and we may have a seat available.

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Jul 6,10 
Thanks guys.

Right now my "crew" would just be the wife and I.

I've been running a six rod spread (2 leads, 2 dipsys and 2 riggers) but truthfully have only been out a few times. My boat control is fairly good but the wife needs more practice on taking the wheel and keeping the boat straight when she's not fighting a fish. The boat has a hard pull to the right if you let go of the wheel, even slightly, so each fish ends up being a 2 person fire drill.

Other than that, my wife is a pretty good fisherman and does a great job putting it to the salmon and trout. If we don't fish the tournaments, perhaps we could help in some capacity.

Looking forward to it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:30pm - Jul 6,10 
It's only $40 to enter the club tournament and that's including the $10 side bet, give one a try, you'll meet lot's of members and find out what the top 3 boats are catching them on and where they were.

Jim Nelligan
President SUIL

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Jul 6,10 
sounds like you need to adjust the trim tab on your lower unit. move it in the direction the boat pulls and it is speed sensitive

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Jul 6,10 
The dealer said they adjusted it, because I did bring it to their attention, but I'll have to check it again. If you let go of the wheel, at slow speeds, or even out of the water, the motor will immediately drop to the right, causing the boat to go hard right. Pretty annoying when trying to troll with only two people.

On my old tiller boats I could simply tighten up the resistence on the motor, thus allowing it to track straight at trolling speed. I'm not sure if that should even be toyed with on a 115 HP.

Now as far as the tournaments go, I read the rules but was hoping you guys could shed some light on a few things:
-I just joined SU and I don't remember if I included my wife on the application. If she is my team member for a tournament must she also join SU and pay
an additional $40?

-How does registering for the tournament work. I trailer my boat to NP Marina. So I arrive at NP, launch my boat and after checking in with the
tournament boat on channel 68, must I wait until the tournament start time to leave the harbor?

-If this was my first tournament, when and where would I drop off the disclaimer form to be eligible for the tournament?

-If the tournament ends at 12 noon, do I need to be in the marina at 12, stop fishing at 12 or at the weigh-in station at 12?

Any other pertinent information would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'm not a big tourny guy but meeting some new people would be fun.

Thanks all.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Jul 6,10 
pmjasper wrote:
The dealer said they adjusted it, because I did bring it to their attention, but I'll have to check it again. If you let go of the wheel, at slow speeds, or even out of the water, the motor will immediately drop to the right, causing the boat to go hard right. Pretty annoying when trying to troll with only two people.

On my old tiller boats I could simply tighten up the resistence on the motor, thus allowing it to track straight at trolling speed. I'm not sure if that should even be toyed with on a 115 HP.

Now as far as the tournaments go, I read the rules but was hoping you guys could shed some light on a few things:
-I just joined SU and I don't remember if I included my wife on the application. If she is my team member for a tournament must she also join SU and pay
an additional $40?

-How does registering for the tournament work. I trailer my boat to NP Marina. So I arrive at NP, launch my boat and after checking in with the
tournament boat on channel 68, must I wait until the tournament start time to leave the harbor?

-If this was my first tournament, when and where would I drop off the disclaimer form to be eligible for the tournament?

-If the tournament ends at 12 noon, do I need to be in the marina at 12, stop fishing at 12 or at the weigh-in station at 12?

Any other pertinent information would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'm not a big tourny guy but meeting some new people would be fun.

Thanks all.

Your wife is allowed to fish under your membership.

You can turn in the disclaimer at the weigh in for you and the wife.

There is a 1/2 hr run time for all boats, so a tournament that starts at 5:00 will allow all boats to leave the harbor at 4:30.

You must be in the harbor mouth at NP by the finish time and at the weigh in no later than 1/2 hr after the finish time. July tournaments start at 5:00 and end at 12:00, August tournaments start at 6:00 and finish at 1:00.

Jim

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:47pm - Jul 6,10 
Thanks Greylion.

Really looking forward to meeting some people and learning the lake the right way. Thanks again.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Jul 6,10 
pmjasper,
For years (my pre auto pilot years) I would turn the boat slightly into the waves and used a bungee cord to keep the wheel from turning. Worked well. If you looking for a third to get you the other three lines you could run, post up on the member site. We have many good fishers in the club without boats who would love to help - get out.

Good luck, see you there!
Rod

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Jul 6,10 
Thanks Rod. Been using the bungee with some success but don't want to get stopped by the CG or marine police and get hassled for it. I'll have to check with another dealer regarding the steering to see if it can be tweeked.

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: