Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:59pm - Jul 17,17 
:drink finally had time to try a new waterway.....well, new to me anyhow....guys have been reporting great days on the water ...fantastic untapped fishing....numbers, size....hummmmm...really???....I made the trec to the industrial side on town ...kinda rough ...kinda weird to see a rowing team practice :shock ..even from the boat view....but as we got closer to the city proper...things started to take a different look....pontoons with grills to rent...kayaks to rent...clean fresh parks...morning work out groups... :shock :shock :shock never thought that would happen...and then the fishing :got1 :crazy ...I must admit...I caught a ton and it was a frickin' blast...largemouth,rockbass,crappie,catfish,stripers,bluegill,we never saw a smallmouth but they can be there...just didn't catch any...the size was impressive...caught some crappie that still had the spawning colors on....and the numbers were astonishing...we had minnows under slip bobbers,and wax worms for offerings....but I was wackin' and stackin' pitching plain plastics...almost every cast got hit..just never knew what would surface..what a rush...big thanks to Pat for this day...in fact the next day/afternoon off the youngest daughter and I will be there again renting some kayaks and paddling the riverview area...the other thing to mention was that the river water really was very clean the closer to the lake front we traveled....again you lakefront guys knew this...I don't get there often...got some perchin' in this spring...but that's another report...

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:33pm - Jul 18,17 
Wow, those are some nice fish from a over taxed area. Where did you launch and what was the cost?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08pm - Jul 18,17 
:drink We met at the launch off western .... a little north of 1-55... first time launching for me... free to park a car ... 27.00 to launch your boat... not sure of the annual fee...lots of no- wake areas to motor through... but definitely worth it after seeing those numbers... and we weren't that intense with the hunt part...sssoooo many good looking areas to try next time...and we never really hit the best spots for small mouth... looking forward to trying it again soon

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:56am - Jul 19,17 
Great report, nice pics, have to try that sometime

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Jul 19,17 
you do realize that water is straight up sewage wastewater? there are all sorts of signs posted on the banks. The old buildings are direct discharge for the sewage straight into the river....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Jul 19,17 
Well played Professor! Those are some pretty fish on top of a great day on the water.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50pm - Jul 19,17 
Crappie Professor wrote:
:drink We met at the launch off western .... a little north of 1-55... first time launching for me... free to park a car ... 27.00 to launch your boat... not sure of the annual fee...lots of no- wake areas to motor through... but definitely worth it after seeing those numbers... and we weren't that intense with the hunt part...sssoooo many good looking areas to try next time...and we never really hit the best spots for small mouth... looking forward to trying it again soon

Local youths have been known to break into parked vehicles at that ramp.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53am - Jul 20,17 
you do realize that water is straight up sewage wastewater? there are all sorts of signs posted on the banks. The old buildings are direct discharge for the sewage straight into the river....

:drink saw and read the signs about rain/storm water???? nothing about sewage....never saw ...smelled ...any floaters...toilet paper....10's of thousands of people in those buildings you'd think you would see some evidence of that stuff right??? you could be right But I'm not the guy to answer that one..

Local youths have been known to break into parked vehicles at that ramp.

:drink when it first opened I heard the same thing....not sure if that's true now ...again I don't know just visited it this one time and had no issues...jet skies and several cars trucks and trailers all fine this day...

Well played Professor! Those are some pretty fish on top of a great day on the water.

:drink Pannie...was refreshing to fish there..

didn't harvest fish was all c-r

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Jul 20,17 
I don't know where you are looking at... after a rain there are condoms, tampons, pads, etc floating all over. My dad worked at the water reclamation district for 35yrs and I lived walking distance downtown for a few years. we have plenty of experience there. The water is disgusting. I cannot believe the city even allows people to touch it. The shoreline literally has signs every few hundred yards that the water is not safe for human contact. they are right by that ramp.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 02:38pm - Jul 20,17 
Its storm drains from the buildings dumping into the river. I know, I have installed them. Other discharges are from water cooled equipment. Water is pumped from the river then returned. I also worked on those. What you see mostly as far as garbage is what is blown in from the streets. Fishing in the river has been on the up swing for years and will only get better. Fish do not live in water that that have sewers dumping into it. I know some people the do very well fishing the river. Is it pristine no is it improving absolutely.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 02:44pm - Jul 20,17 
I have asked Capt Pat if he ever had a problem at that ramp and he told me that he never had a problem. Just saying.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:48pm - Jul 20,17 
Buckmark311 wrote:

Are you aware that would be illegal in this day and age? And stopped being done a long time ago due to the EPA and environmental laws? There is no way that "sewage wastewater" dumps into the river. Anything you see floating is likely stuff thrown in or washing off the streets, etc through storm drains. Not through toilets being dumped into the river...

BTW, evidence of condoms, pads, and tampons... is not proof at all that toilets dump into the river. None of those things are supposed to be flushed. What you're seeing is 100% washing off the streets in storm drains...

Personally, I wouldn't eat fish from there because I can go catch fish in crystal clear spring-fed strip pits to eat. But I'd have no problem catching them. If the fish live in there, do you honestly believe that the water isn't even safe to touch for a human?

People are so gullible sometimes...

The river is 1000000x better than it was just 15-20 years ago.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48am - Jul 21,17 
Yea I know the river is dirty but I've also noticed then once you hit the downtown part where everything branches off, the water actually gets pretty clear and clean on the main stem. I mean ive caught crappie up to 14 inches, lm bass, sm bass, blue gills, catfish, carp and I even hooked into a walleye night fishing from the marina city piers earlier this year. I have to say, the river is an outstanding fishery with low pressure and it's all because people don't even take it into consideration.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49am - Jul 21,17 
I even eat crappies from there when I catch them close to the lake. They taste just like any crappie I've ever eaten. No poo poo sewage taste

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Jul 21,17 
:drink Don't think I would eat them .... but to each his own.... I've eaten crappie from some local ponds that guys have said they would never!!...all good here :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Jul 21,17 
Interesting and wildly entertaining report. Good to see this!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Jul 21,17 
Sometimes pumping stations fail and they have no choice but to dump sewage into rivers and waterways. I've witnessed it first hand on the Fox river during a heavy downpour fishing next to a pumping station. I love fishing the Fox, nonetheless. There's also a thing called a combination storm/sewer drain...

Awesome report, Crappie Professor. It really sounds like a great experience. It would sure be a shame if everybody allowed fear to prevent them from enjoying the outdoors. Just have to remember not to bite your finger nails! :rotflmao

Thanks for the great report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29pm - Jul 23,17 
Very cool report Professor!! I only fished the river a few times while I was still in Chi Town, but it was always a unique fishing experience every time I was there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38am - Jul 25,17 
there are monster bass in the river both lm and sm.look for the discharges east of the michigan ave bridge.they just hover facing the discharge pipes.we went as far as dropping live softshells right on their noses once with no takes.tons of panfish and carp that would pull a kid in the water.just remember the closer to the lake the cleaner the water as the flow was reversed so it flows out from the lake .its natural flow was in till they reversed it.i dont think there would be a problem eating the fish if you followed lake michigan advisories.we used to fish from shore early on sunday but may not be practical anymore

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Jul 25,17 
Here's a list of dates when sewage has been dumped into the river by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago. For those that eat fish from the river all I can say is "Bon Appetit!"

http://istheresewageinthechicagoriver.com/history/

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: