Author
Search for:
Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Sep 11,10 
Where did all of that wind come from?
It wasn’t in the weather forecast that I read last night.
Man, I hate the wind; it beats ya up and wears ya down, beats ya up and wears ya down some more. By the end of the day it feels like your face is half gone and the feeling of the rocking back and forth and rolling up and down stays imbedded through the rise and fall of next moon.

I didn’t have a partner with me today.
Almost put up a beggar’s post last night asking for one of you to come along. About mid morning I was wishing that I had.
You would have had a kick. The bite was good from the start and stayed pretty consistent the whole day through.
Started the hunt on a lake in the North Unit and fell upon pod after pod of white crappies. They bit on a number of presentations, including Panther Martin spinners, hair jigs tipped with minnows, Beetle Spins, Salmo Hornets trolled and Mini Mites tipped with waxies and cast into the schools.
Found no crappie relating to anything in shallow water. All fish caught were suspended 8 to 12’ down over the main basin.

Pulled off the stained water and relocated to clear water in the South Unit.
We keep getting incidental catches of black crappie on this particular lake and today wasn’t any different. These are better fish and I wish I could something worked out with em. It’s just one or two an outing. They’re not hanging out over deep water when we get one and they’re not on any cover, just kinda close, kinda strange.

The bluegills are finally getting some cooler water and are now relating to deeper stuff. Anywhere I could find patches of sandgrass in 22 to 26’; I found big gills and redears too. Most of the bluegill that came out of that deep grass kissed the 9” mark on the bump board. My, what a nice battle they give on light gear.

I’d say it was a pretty good day today if it wasn’t for the continuous blow and I hope this swaying to and fro comes to an end before too long.

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 09:17pm - Sep 11,10 
Sounds like you had fun day, nice!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Sep 12,10 
My phone rang at 07:30. Sure wish it would have been you Mr. Luc.
Instead it was some type of sales call that I let the answering machine handle.

Beggar ???????

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Sep 12,10 
What a beautiful picture, thank you Mr.Luc.

Just wondering a bit mind you, but were you drift fishing for the magnificent gill?

Oh and just a thought before wsj leaves this fine post, sometimes that alone kind of fishing sure does raise the intensity of the hunt, while the solitude leaves the mind to wander a bit about the surroundings. wsj does enjoy the company of those invited, but have to say the most was learned from the solo trips.

Did you notice the birds?

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Sep 12,10 
Quote:
were you drift fishing for the magnificent gill?

I was allowing the boat to drift from one hump to another and hovering as I could once fish were marked in that 22 to 26 depth.
I cast jig n plastic with one rod and then set a jig n redworm to slide along right on the bottom with a second rod but held under a slip float. I haven't slip floated at all this summer and it ended up being the best presentation for the largest of the bluegills and each of the redears.
The colors on the male fish coming out of the deeper water were brilliant.

Quote:
have to say the most was learned from the solo trips.

It's always the case. I do my first time stuff almost always while fishing alone and I'm more focused when by myself.

Funny you mention the birds.
I was taking notice all day of the many migrating Monarch butterflies that are now in the area. We saw good numbers of them in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and now they are passing through our area.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/monarch_f10_roosts.html

but the birds;
When I arrived home, Mrs Luc asked how it went and I gave her the lowdown.
Her comment was; "I knew you were doing well because the birds have been really busy."

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17pm - Sep 12,10 
Nice.

It got pretty fierce on Green outta nowhere too. Had to take refuge back at camp then relaunch past dark. No sense in fightin it when ya don't gotta ya know.

Jig-A-Whooper Hawger Spoons; silver or gold 1,2&3 sizes for a buck at the shop on 23. In the back by the minnows....she'll show ya the way.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: