Author
Search for:
Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Jul 19,10 
It was one of those days.
Every once in a while, a plan works out and once ever so often or so, three plans will work.

This will be a three plan day. Crappies on hardbaits, bluegills on leech tipped spinner rigs
and I hope to be able to find a redear while vertical jigging a leech at the base of the sandgrasses.
Two lakes, three species, three different presentations and I needed to be off the water and returning home by 10:30am.

Plan #1.
Hottest July in 34 years, water temps are way up, natural forage levels are as high as they will be all year long and so I’m figuring on tempting crappie with some smallish, high action crankbaits.

This Salmo Hornet H2S will work down to about 3 or maybe 4 feet or so on the troll.
What a great bait it is but not sold in the states anymore.

I set it out about 50 foot and then snapped the line onto an Off Shore mini planer.

The Hornet took a hit as I was about to place the board in the water.

We’re allowed two lines in the pits so my second gets a #4 Salmo Bullhead, which will swim along at twelve foot under with again, a wide wiggle.

Here’s that board out alongside me, running the weed edge, what is left of them.
These lakes have taken a big weather hit in the past couple weeks and the weeds are now dead and dying all over, stained water and clear water alike.

The crappies were hitting really well and at times I would have both lines under stretch at the same time. There was a lot of surface activity all over and every once in a while I would see long toothy snoots break above the surface as they nipped water bugs for their breakfasts.

The rods are light action Fenwick HMX in 7 and 9 foot lengths. The reels are Shimano Symetre 750’s and the line is 4# Sufix Elite.

It was pod after pod after pod after pod, all down the length of the lake and I made four passes up and down the lake, picking up fish regularly.

Fish were coming over the gunnels like I could do no wrong

Oh I can do wrong though, we all know that. I’m all about doing something different as soon as the bite gets going, like leaving my fish just to go find fish.

Not just yet though, I have other baits to wet first and I do run each of these but the crappie only hit the #2 and #3 Hornets and the Bullhead.

Of course it’s the one that is kinda hard to get that gets slammed all the time and I only have a couple #2’s right now.

Wasn’t trying to catch these things but I got a few.

I suppose I could have stayed and had a 150 crappie day but there were two more hunts that needed to get done so it was time to pull out and head to another lake.

I can’t help myself,
I just love making and pulling these little rigs.

The second set is a Yo Zuri Snap Bean put down deep by means of my release.

Nothing was real deep though as I was expecting. This lake is way different but the water temperature is the same, at 84 degrees and the fish again are in shallower water than they normally would be at this time of year and I saw no fish deeper than 22 on the sonar. Last week I saw nothing below 18 feet.

The little spinner rigs work like magic most every time and today would be no different.

The Snap Bean, I think, was the wrong bug to be pulling down there in the grass but it managed a hit.

I don’t know what the deal is with the weeds but they are looking really sad.

Well, time was getting short and this is getting long so let’s get the morning done with.

There is this trusty saddle between two main lake humps that supports a good supply of snail covered sandgrass for the big guys and so I put away the rigs and tied on a jig.
I tipped the jig with a leech and jigged it in the grass and out from the grass came a big ole fat readear, just like I was hoping for.

Maybe one day I'll give up this foolishness and find myself a bigger species to chase after.
Could it be any more fun though?
Night night
Any

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 07:50pm - Jul 19,10 
Simply awesome pics, BEAUTIFUL!!! I don't know what to say other then..... You sure do have that gig dialed in, my friend! Thanks for sharing!!

P.S..... Leave those cute little crankbaits home in August. I won't be responsible for the well being of them. :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Jul 19,10 
Looks like a great day!!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Jul 19,10 
No Foolishness there Any,, We all know catchin big fish is great. But,,,When you catch Big, "Small" fish, it's even better. Way to go ! :fisch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Jul 19,10 
Great post and pics Bill.

I need to start doing some fishin'.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Jul 19,10 
Boy Mr Luc! you sure got them fish dialed in!!! I myself have never had much success in the Summer months fishing for the speckled ones. I kinda dig those cute little crankbaits.

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 04:22am - Jul 20,10 
It's all about the chase...Thanks for the info and good report!

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:51am - Jul 20,10 
Mr.Luc you were a master at laying all 3 plans and working them to success, a testament to the planning. Might the weeds be suffering from an increase in water temperature? Just think, only a perch away from the panfish "grand slam". Thanks for letting us share in your memories. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27am - Jul 20,10 
Love the set ups.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:07am - Jul 20,10 
Yep! You is done it again, Any. Great report. Love the details, and special setups, pics etc. looks like the ole release is working fine for you.

I didn't see any Cod fish though- I mean, if you have a Gloucester, Ma mug- there should be some Cod in the pictures- oh, Clam chowda in the mug- okay! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:15pm - Jul 20,10 
Well done Mr. Luc.
I see you avoided catching or at least picturing any of those Green things.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:18pm - Jul 20,10 
You get to catch all the fish. Nice job.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:26pm - Jul 20,10 
strobs wrote:
We all know catchin big fish is great. But,,,When you catch Big, "Small" fish, it's even better. :fisch

That is so right.
When I caught my first bluegill on a Fenwick HMX76L, it opened a whole new world of pleasure in panfishing for me.
I can't get over it with every fish I work in.
Thanks strobs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

k3 fisher wrote:
I need to start doing some fishin'.

We'll be afloat on moving water Saturday morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DANCES WITH FISH wrote:
I myself have never had much success in the Summer months fishing for the speckled ones.

We have fortunately been able to stay right with them this year, from walkable water through the hottest days of summer. They aren't real big, most are 10's now with the occasional 11 to 13 brought in but the numbers are good all over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AtitAgain07 wrote:
It's all about the chase...

It is.
That's all it is about;
Chasing something that is elusive yet obtainable.
It sure is grand though when everything works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Might the weeds be suffering from an increase in water temperature?

Could be, or maybe it was shock from week before last's deluge. The lake levels are still way high from all that rain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bubbalouie wrote:
I didn't see any Cod fish though- I mean, if you have a Gloucester, Ma mug- there should be some Cod in the pictures- oh, Clam chowda in the mug- okay! :D

A favored place, that Gloucester town.
I could go back to New England over and over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GETDANET1 wrote:
Well done Mr. Luc.
I see you avoided catching or at least picturing any of those Green things.

Always a contest to see if I can get em shook off before they make it to hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to tell ya's about the getting comfortable with my manhood at the boat landing.
:doh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47pm - Jul 20,10 
Quote:

We'll be afloat on moving water Saturday morning.

So will I.

The water is low but the specks are bitting.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:24pm - Jul 21,10 
Any ,I don't know which is most impressive to me : the thought process ,the narrative ,the execution, the fish or the photography. All I know is we are fortunate you choose to share with us ! Thanks so much.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:06pm - Jul 21,10 
:respect Thank's for the tail's ... :bigyuck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Jul 25,10 
Salmo Hornet H2S
Those look good so u say not sold in the states...I wonder why? What about matching them with other brand as Rapala something like that?

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:14am - Jul 26,10 
Bluegillman wrote:
Salmo Hornet H2S
Those look good so u say not sold in the states...I wonder why? What about matching them with other brand as Rapala something like that?

I contacted Salmo a while back asking what the deal was and was only told that they stopped selling them in the states a few years ago.
Ottawa Valley Tackle in Canada is the only source I have and they don't keep a full line of colors.
The only hard bait that comes to mind, which could match the #2 in size and action would be a small Heddon Tadpolly and I don't know that Heddon makes a Tadpolly in a matching size these days.

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: