Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Jun 2,10 
Ok... here is the situation.... A few years back I stocked a pond that is controlled by my employer (a municipality) at their expense. (I convinced them it would be healthy for the new(ish) pond to have fish in it...) So the fish were purchased through the Soil and Water Conservation District at their annual fish sale and stocked into the pond.... we did this several years in a row.

Well the fish grew... and grew... and of course... spawned... And of course.. the 'word' got out as people found my pond (its hidden in plain sight) and the awesome fish in there. Well it seems that some of the fishermen are not 'sport' fishermen and I think some of the bass have been taken out.... but that is not the problem...

The problem is that the bluegill and crappie have over-populated and now there is a stunted population of both species.... I know that there are still some real nice bluegills... and Im sure there has to be some BIG crappie in there too...

So what I am asking is for some of you die-hard panfishers to come help me thin the pond. I checked the DNR rules:

(D) Crappie (White, Black or Hybrid Crappie)
There are no creel or length limits except
in those waters listed under Site Specific
Regulations.
(E) Bluegill and Redear Sunfish
There are no creel or length limits except
in those waters listed under Site Specific
Regulations.

So........ there are no creel limits in place on 'my' pond.... and there is a convienent dumpster nearby.... Ive been doing what I can when I go there... thowing the little ones over my shoulder rather than back into the pond... but the numbers are too much for one man. Here are some pics of what I have caught there in the past few years....

Just this past weekend I caught a 2.5 and a 3.5 pound bass and I think there are some even bigger in there. The pic of the crappie was taken 2 years ago so there has to be some BIG ones there...

If you can help with the 'cleaning out' of the pond send me a PM and I can give you directions to the pond.... but I am hoping you keep this gem "under your hat"... added bonus... anyone who helps I can give directions to my other 'secret spot' :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:08pm - Jun 2,10 
PM Sent

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13pm - Jun 2,10 
I don't know the size of the pond but some nice predators would help the population. I would also think that the egrets and herons would take their toll. Nothing like sticking a few northern in there to see what happens. From your story, the pond is okay through the winter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Jun 2,10 
Why is it a bad thing that it's over populated? Isn't that a good thing for your own private pond? Catch a fish every cast

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Jun 2,10 
ThePerchKing wrote:
Why is it a bad thing that it's over populated? Isn't that a good thing for your own private pond? Catch a fish every cast

Over popuation off sets the pond and creates stunt growth. Ponds that produce only 1-2 lb bass can produce 9-12" gills. Vise versa. There is a pond by me that used to be great. But it is now only full of 5 lb carp. Hundreds.

The best predator fish would be Large Mouth Bass. I would keep pike and eyes out unless you have a deep and or very large pond.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Jun 2,10 
I just sent you a pm. thanks, Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Jun 2,10 
Hey Mike, I would like to give you a hand. PM sent

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Jun 2,10 
pm sent

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:35am - Jun 3,10 
Mike,
I would love to bring out the neighborhood kids and help.
That is if it is not a real long drive. I on the otherhand would be happy to help in what ever way I can.
A good way to thin them is also in the winter. Can get to every little hole. Helped on a pond this year that had a bass problem.
Make sure to put an gentlemans upper limit to keep a good gene pool on the pannies, like 9 inch and over on gills and 14 inch and over on the crappie.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09am - Jun 3,10 
Kennyman is the guy who posted the article. I, mike am just looking to help. I think a couple of you are confused. Please Contact Kennyman. Thank you,

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26am - Jun 3,10 
:rotflmao sorry Mike!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29am - Jun 3,10 
No problem, just want to straighten out any confusion. Mike/Sea Nile

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Jun 3,10 
WOW!!!! :shock I really wasnt prepared for the huge response from everyone!!

I completely forgot to mention what area the pond is in... it is in the Libertyville/Vernon Hills area...

Thank you to everyone who has responded and sent me a message. I will be replying to some of you soon.... Please do not be offended if I do not select you to help... Its a small pond (2 acres) and if you live far away I would think it may not be worth your time to come all the way here...

I am in the process of setting some 'goals' as to how many fish need to be removed. Top predators are a great idea... and the largemouth bass would be the best species for this pond... the pond is just too small for pike. (They are in my "other" pond :wink: )

Again, Thank you to all of you who have responded... Its especially great to hear from many of you who want to bring small children to come help!! :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Jun 3,10 
pm sent

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Jun 3,10 
Thanks Kennyman, that's a little too far from my area. Thanks anyway and good luck. :winker :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:14pm - Jun 3,10 
OK, please disregard my PM. I live on the far south side of Chicago. I am sure you will find a lot of "Helpers" up Nort' dere ...EH !!! :D

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:16pm - Jun 3,10 
My family is still looking for the good time, we are stationed in great lakes in north chicago

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Jun 3,10 
Have your employer stock some bass in the lake. Post them catch and release. Not many ponds can handle alot of harvest and yours obviously could not. Best thing you can do for a pond is to not keep the predators.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00pm - Jun 3,10 
Sent a PM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:22pm - Jun 3,10 
Wow!! didn't realize you were that far north. If I was going up there, I would have to spend the night...lol.. Good luck!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: