Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Jul 14,17 
I'm a river rookie.. I've been fishing my whole life generally at LM, local & WI inland lakes.

I've been lucky enough to have access to a good fishing boat for the last few years and I have been itching to get some summer river fishing action but I have no idea where to start and what to do.

I will start with this forum asking general rookie questions and i would appreciate any info all of you can share. Just let me know if these assumptions are true, half-way true, or any experiences you might have had regarding this subject.

Subject #1: Flooded rivers after too much rain.

My understanding is that noone fishes swollen rivers because;

The shoreline is flooded, making general shoreline access un-accessible.

the water is muddy and visibility is at its worse.

Launches are flooded

River moves to fast and dangerous debris moves faster

Please feel free to add to these points or just share additional information. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27pm - Jul 14,17 
Some of the best river fishing occurs during high water. The fish are pulled to shore and put on the feed bag. The hard part is finding slack water eddies to fish. Don't need a boat. Shore fishing is very productive.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36pm - Jul 14,17 
I've been fishing high water events in rivers most of my life . The first concern is safety , stay away from steeply sloping and/or muddy banks . Listen to that little voice in your head. if you have any doubts don't do it . No fish is worth dying for .

Stay on shore forget about wading and boats .

Fish shoreline related slackwater areas or flooded objects that break the current both natural and manmade . Fish from the first current seam[ where water of two different speeds flow next to one another] out from the shore back into the shore as water is rising .

I start with lures that push a lot of water or vibrate a lot to get noticed . For example if you fish crankbaits switch to Wiggle Warts for these conditions as they really push water and vibrate . Spinnerbaits with big blades size 6 and up with bulky trailers are also good . If you go low and slow a jig/pig or weighted keeper hook/plastic are my choices .

For live bait a float can help if the bottom is real snaggy which it usually is , Same goes for cut or prepared baits for cats .

Read my posts in creeks, streams and ditches , there are a lot of posts detailing how I deal with these conditions .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20pm - Jul 20,17 
Thanks for the tips Creeky.. I really appreciate all the info you have shared throughout the years.. Get well soon, we all look forward to more and more post.

GS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:19pm - Jul 21,17 
7 weeks of radiation with 2 more rounds of chemo as well . plus 3 to 4 weeks to recover and feel human again .

I will survive .

Always happy to share hard won knowledge , what good does learning it do , if you don;t pass it on . eventually we all will die , a shame for knowledge to die with you .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Jul 29,17 
Dang man... I don't frequent these boards too much anymore. I didn't know you were sick.

I have gotten some good and much appreciated advice from you over the years here, and actually met you once at Davis Creek.

You seem as genuine as they come. I'll say a prayer for ya, my man.

Get better dammit!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05am - Jul 30,17 
Thank You Dacas1 for the prayers and the kind words . They help lift my spirits knowing I helped another .

I think you were with your Dad or Uncle when we met at Davis Creek .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25pm - Jul 31,17 
Said one for you last night and I'll do it again tonight. That was my dad I was with at Davis Creek. He's retired and living on Sechrist Lake now on the Barbee Chain. If you ever get out that way let me know. I might have learned a few secrets... PM is always open.

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: