Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33pm - May 10,15 
Does anybody have a number we can contact to keep those gates open longer at Wolf Lake?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10pm - May 10,15 
I'd like to hire a guide for this watershed. PM me if interested.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36pm - May 10,15 
i'd try the brand new office they built by the indian creek

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - May 11,15 
Call Hammond Marina. They are part of the port authority which runs Wolf Lake. 219-659-7678

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - May 11,15 
He's talking about the Illinois side which closes at 5 pm until Memorial day then it closes at 7 pm. To make it worse it doesn't open until 7 am. Such a waste of a great lake. However the Indiana side is open 24 hours a day. There is random boat ramp closings for certain events but most of the time it's open. If you find out who to talk to let me know I'll call as well

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:16am - May 12,15 
And they always start harassing people to leave 30 minutes before they lock the gate.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50pm - May 12,15 
the kicker is (so I've heard) since the brand new office they built was broken in to/vandelised before completion they have a ranger that patrols at night. not sure if he stays the night but have seen him driving around the park at night.if he's already going to be there why not let people fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - May 13,15 
Has fishing on this lake improved in the past year? My buddy used to fish it as a kid and never had any luck. He said it was always mucky, muddy, and full of snags. I'd love to hear otherwise and get pointed in the right direction. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

Last edited by Bronzebacker on 02:37pm - May 13,15, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - May 13,15 
depends where you fish the in. and ill. sides while connected are like different lakes with different main forage, not really mucky or muddy but weedy and full of snags is right on, there are abundant and many quality fish in there finding them while they want to bite is a completely different story the whole lake is around 10,000 acres giving the fish lots of room to hide .that pike on my avatar was c&r'ed out there at just under 40"and have caught walleye up to 10lbs. right spot,time,conditions, and bait it can be crazy fishing the rest of the time you'd think the lake doesn't have a fish in it. m e and a buddie made it out last week in about 2 hours we caught lm sm and rock bass, walleye crappie and a cat all on sz 8 husky jerk all same spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:30pm - May 13,15 
It is not an easy lake to fish. The water is very clear with lots of weed growth. There is hardly any wood which is what I consider to be snags. The fact that you cannot fish daylight or sundown makes it tough. I only fish it because it's about 30 minutes from my house and I don't have many alternatives. Definitely not worth going out of your way for.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13pm - May 13,15 
It seems as though this body of water will continue to be a mythical creature to me. I do not have the time to get intimate with her which is why I would have hired a guide. I'll just continue to look at her as I pass by on my way to and from Hammond Marina. Thanks for the input boys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03am - May 14,15 
dr of fishingology wrote:
It seems as though this body of water will continue to be a mythical creature to me. I do not have the time to get intimate with her which is why I would have hired a guide. I'll just continue to look at her as I pass by on my way to and from Hammond Marina. Thanks for the input boys.

Whenever the water is right, I always choose the Lake over Wolf. But I have to pick my days carefully on the lake so that is why I end up at Wolf more often than I prefer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:57pm - May 14,15 
According to the website, Wolf Lake has a 75 hp limit on the Indiana side, is this true? I thought higher hp motors were allowed in, just a 10 mph limit. Do they enforce a hp limit now?

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - May 15,15 
ill. side is motor over 10hp must operate no wake, in. side was open may have put 75 limit but haven't seen it posted

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:35am - May 16,15 
Posted here at bottom of website page http://hammondmarina.com/activities/boating/

2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - May 16,15 
Don't they have Angler's Dream tournaments there with bass boats?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27am - May 18,15 
Info on the website is incorrect. On the Indiana side any size motor is allowed but there is a 10 mph speed limit which is posted. And yes there are bass tourneys weekly, but once again only 10 mph speed limit. I fish the Indiana side weekly & agree it's a tough lake to pattern. Go out one day hook up with 5-10 bass go out the next and nothing. I'm still trying to figure it out, best bite i found is early light or the last few hours of light. Hope this info helps out. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - May 18,15 
Whitebass219 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure it out, best bite i found is early light or the last few hours of light.

And this is when you cannot fish the IL side since the park doesn't open till 7 AM and closes at 5 PM (7 PM after Memorial Day). And they start rushing you to leave 30 minutes beforehand.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45pm - May 18,15 
That doesn't even make sense, why would they close so early? Indiana side stays open around the clock. They do occasionally close for special events but most of the time it's open. Your more then welcome to come on over and give it a shot. There's a lot of tournaments out there so it's pretty heavily pressured so if your going to give it a shot early in the year is best, so nows the time. If you need starting points pm me. Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48pm - May 19,15 
Thanks for clarifying the hp thing for me. Now another question if you don't mind, Can a 18.5 Lund Tyee get around on the Indiana side? I heard it's shallow and I've never been there. Thanks

2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: