Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20pm - Sep 21,14 
Went out on the canal today on the canal today hoping for the fishing to be as good as it was last time. Unfortunately it wasn't. Fished for about an hour and a half without any bites before we changed spots. Got the only carp of the day there, another 18 pounder. I just can't seem to break the 18 pound mark. Still a big fish so I can't really complain. My friend was able to net it but as we were bringing it on land his net snapped, again. Luckily (or not too lucky?) we didn't catch any big fish that day. Got a small bullhead after that, no picture.
18 pound carp:
My friend looking quite dissapointed with his net:
And a picture of the canal:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24pm - Sep 21,14 
You guys are killing it! Congrats!

Now buy a decent net already!!! LOL...

Beckman.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:01am - Sep 22,14 
Buy a cheap pair of waterproof boots instead of another net :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:42pm - Sep 22,14 
2 thumbs up on the giant carp you guys have been yanking out of there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:46pm - Sep 22,14 
That is a pig! As far as the net goes, stop lifting the net by the handle with the fish in the yoke. Too much weight :noway Scoop the fish and drag her back to the shore with the net in the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Sep 22,14 
You def have the tank carp dialed in! Congrats on another brute. Just a tip for netting, after you scoop the fish, hold the net handle completely vertical when lifting the fish on to shore, that net can prob hold twice as much weight or more, but the handle needs to be vertical. Good Luck out there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:34pm - Sep 23,14 
SLAYER!!!

Went fishing and had a drink or went drinking and caught a fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29pm - Sep 23,14 
Ichthyguy wrote:
SLAYER!!!

Indeed (I'm Connor' s friend in the picture)

And for the netting tips, I appreciate them and we'll both definitely try better techniques because the net situation is kinda ridiculous... :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:03pm - Sep 24,14 
I know it's tough for guys your age to come up with $120 for a good net. But, the good news is, with the style of fishing you're doing you don't need one. Your technique is flawed.

Net it, leave it in the net - IN THE WATER. Drop the net, grab the fish, no stress on the net.

Do you think us Musky guys hoist 30 pound fish up in the air in the net? Net handles aren't meant to do that, regardless of the quality.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:45pm - Sep 25,14 
You could also try one of those fish baskets. I don't know what they are called, but
muskie fishermen use them to keep the fish in the water. It has 2 wooden handles
about 4 feet long with the the netting attached in between the handles. You steer the
fish into the device and then close the handles over the fish. You could then lift the fish
up and out or unhook it while it's still in the basket. I'm sure somebody here knows
exactly what I'm talking about.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Sep 25,14 
I know what you're talking about. That doest seem exactly ideal due to the fact that we need something with a long handle. It's hard to get carp close to shore in such shallow water unless you completely tire it out. I don't really like the idea of fighting a fish to the point of exhaution and I don't think me nor my friend want to walk into the water to land the fish seeing as neither of us own waders.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:01am - Oct 1,14 
[quote]I don't really like the idea of fighting a fish to the point of exhaution and I don't think me nor my friend want to walk into the water to land the fish seeing as neither of us own waders.[/quote]

For the amount of time you do fishing, combined with the amount of time and money you spend replacing nets, wouldn't it be a good idea to invest in some cheap rubber hip waders???

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - Oct 1,14 
Dunno if ld want to be standing on shore in waders in the summer or walking into canal to net a fish shoreline drops off quickly...I think I would just try a stick of aluminum angle under the handle held on by pipe clamps. Or somthing of that nature

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19am - Oct 1,14 
I'm gonna have to agree with bill77 on this one. The canal has a lot of steep drop offs, is extremely deep, and probably has strong undercurrents. That combined with lots of slippery, algae covered rocks seems pretty dangerous. I'd rather lose a fish than lose my life trying to net it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:18pm - Oct 1,14 
I wonder if a conduit coupling in combination with some heavy duty adhesive might fix that net...   Looks like a pretty clean break.  Definatley looks fixable in one way or another. 

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21am - Oct 2,14 
I ran a broom handle down through the handle of my net and fastened it in place with a few self tapping screws.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17pm - Oct 2,14 
Tommyfish is dead on, you can "lift" even a 12lb fish with a long net handle (even a good one) without it snapping. I fish carp with 12 foot net handle, sometimes in locations where that still mean bending down to be able to net fish.

If you are fishing a wall. Net the fish and make sure the front lip of the net stays out of the water as you bring the fish to the wall. Tilt the net so the bag stays straight up and down and hangs below the hoop of the net. Then hand over hand the net till you can grab the scopp.

If theres no wall than same think just keep backing it up slowly like you pulling rope till you can grab the hoop.

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: