Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:17am - Dec 4,12 
I went out yesterday to Thorn Creek, not expecting much. I only had less than an hour to fish and I didn't catch anything but I did notice what seemed to be salmon still in the creek. I thought they made their way up the creeks a month or so ago? I heard a few big jumps, which I assumed to be salmon but I can't be sure. Then as I walked along the shoreline I saw a salmon that was just sitting in the really shallow water among the branches and he took off when he saw me coming.

So the bottom line is, I'm gonna make another trip out there in the next few days, but does anyone know how to coax a bite out of these fish that don't seem too interested in anything I've offered?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Dec 4,12 
PM'd ya.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23am - Dec 4,12 
Thorn creek by park forest? I live near thorn creek nature center is this the same place.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35am - Dec 4,12 
Thorn creek winds it way through miles and miles. It actually passes through many towns. You wont see much down by us, I think due to the water treatment facility in Chicago Heights. I will tell you that it does indirectly connect to Lake Michigan though..................

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59am - Dec 4,12 
That's nice to know maybe if I follow it north for a little while there might be something In there. I have been catching some really nice crappie at the moose lodge. It's technically the Chicago heights moose but its on Sauk trail in Sauk village. Really nice private stocked lake. Not bad dues either. Pm me if you want to check it out

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Dec 4,12 
I used to fish the Moose Lodge 10 or 15 years ago. My buddy was a member there. The O'mally ponds right there are pretty dead, but do have some large carp, and some decent Gill, Warmouth. FYI I just walked to one of my favorite spots on the Thorn Creek, and spotted 4 or 5 Carp. The ones I got a good view of were 18-24 inches. They have to be coming from the Cal. These guys weren't around this summer, so they must have just recently made the trip, if they could do it, then Salmon could for sure.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38am - Dec 4,12 
Yea if the carp are out that far it's definitely possible for the salmon to be too. Ill have to try it out soon and yea those ponds next to the moose are really dead. See guys out there a lot went there in the summer but couldn't keep the small ones off long enough to get a good one. Lol. But yea I just got like some 12" crappie out at the moose. Fish act a lot differently there maybe because its a stocked pond and not a lot of people fish it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41am - Dec 4,12 
I was seeing the salmon by brownell woods in Thornton

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:05pm - Dec 4,12 
What road is that on ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Jan 8,13 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBHOqo ... ata_player

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:25pm - Jan 8,13 
Thanks for posting the video. Kind of give me hope that the local waters are getting a little bit cleaner. And makes me want to do some exploring.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Jan 8,13 
Has anyone actually fished in Thorn Creek? Do Steelhead run in here as well? I am just hoping to find place closer to fish other then going out to Portage, IN or Harbors in Chicago.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:17pm - Jan 8,13 
From what I've been told hey can and will its just how far will they run the creek is my only question. I live in steger and I'm always looking for people in my area to fish with so if you find a spot or just want someone to go somewhere with you let me know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Jan 9,13 
Thorn Creek is really not a viable place to seriously fish. I fish it, but only expect to hook creek chub, greenies, and the occasional Blue Gill. It is cool that a few Salmon run through here, but it really is not a good place for fishing Salmon. You will most likely never see one. I have been watching for years, and have not been lucky enough to see any. I have seen a few Carp though.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25am - Jan 25,13 
Lies... It's a stellar fishery!! Kings in there all year long! The Alaska of the mid west!

Tight lines

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Jan 25,13 
learn something new every day. will have to check this out!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10am - Apr 2,13 
@Dan S: what other species have you noticed in thorn creek? I live very close to thorn creek and am interested in fishing it. Now the other question I have is this: is the fishing better to the north or south of thorn creek treatment facility in the heights? Let me know

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58am - Apr 2,13 
From what I have heard the north of the treatment plant is way better not much below by me those creek chubs are the best catfish bait I've used in a long time. Never fished it yet but it's a good bait spot for me so I figure if there's good bait there's gotta be good fish. Somewhere at least.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Apr 2,13 
I can catch creek chubs all day in the pond off richton rd in Crete on Lincolnshire Country Club. Big huge suckers in there too. Im lookin for some good smallie action Thorncreek has to have some smallmouth in it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Apr 2,13 
Ive lived in the area my whole life, no smallies in Thorn Creek.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: