Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Sep 22,11 
Fishing in Marquette Park Lagoon
I took my little guy fishing at Marquette Park for his first time. I fished there as a kid and caught many 4 lb to 10 lb carp. My first cast in 30 years and I caught a 3 lb channel cat. Caught 2 more cats but nothing else. What happened to the big Carp? I heard there was a major fish kill there back in 2000 and the water level looks lower than I remember it. Has anybody fished there recently and caught anything of size? Let me know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - Oct 10,11 
Fished Sat evening (Oct 8) at Marquette Park lagoon with no luck. Tried may old favorite spots but to no avail. Talked with an old-timer and his grandson and asked him about the abundance of algae growth (have to cast over 20 feet from shore to find open water) and he said it was because of the geese. I seen over 300 geese just from where I was fishing near the Marquette Park golf course and he said that because of the huge amount of goose droppings in the lagoon, the nitrate levels had risen to levels that promoted the infestation of algae growth throughout the lagoon. He also told me that over the last 5 years all he had seen caught out of there was catfish and bluegills.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Oct 10,11 
The carp spawn in Diversey, I have litteraly seen thousands of them in late spring back by the gas dock and the lagoon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22pm - Oct 10,11 
I'm talking about Marquette Park lagoon on 67th and Kedzie. Diversy? Diversy harbor? Where are you talking about?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40pm - Oct 10,11 
I tried going fishing there in March and a guy came by as I casted my first cast and said in February 2011 there was a complete die off. He said zero fish were in there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Jul 6,15 
Current update:

There was another massive fish kill over the 2013/2014 winter. As a result gold fish and small (3'' or so) bullheads are the main catch now a days.

I'll be fishing their summer league tonight and see how many gold fish are landed. I am hoping to get at least six as they add weight, especially compared to dink bullheads :hmad

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:26am - Jul 7,15 
Just a follow up to the Monday night contest:

As expected, really small bullheads made up the bulk of the catch. Followed by mostly small gills then golden shiners (alas no huge ones, probably ran around 4'' or so) and then a few goldfish. I was expecting more goldfish caught, but the water was pretty muddy and may have or may have not been a factor.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:59pm - Jul 8,15 
Years ago there was some excellent Bass fishing down by the Golf course. Like I said years ago. Maybe someday the fishing will come back. It was nice to spend the day at the park. It was nice to see a recent report on Marquette. Thanks OZ for the report and Good Luck Fishing. :gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Jul 9,15 
Yes Oz is correct: It was the 2013-2014 winter that killed off the huge carp in Chi Park District Lagoons.

I have pics of a CPD maintenance worker on a lil john boat in Humboldt Park that spring right after ice out. He filled the john boat with huge dead carp.

Ill post pics later when i get home.

GS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Jul 14,15 
Goldfish-a-rama for one guy Monday night. I think he landed a dozen of them. A few others got three or four. Some goldfish still in their bronze color. Once again I got stuck in the shallower water so no goldies for me :(

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13am - Jul 15,15 
Police are draining part of Marquette to look for a missing person.
Good time to stay away if you have plans to go.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50am - Jul 15,15 
UglyStick wrote:
Police are draining part of Marquette to look for a missing person.
Good time to stay away if you have plans to go.
Still a ton of water in the section they are draining (I am guessing it was only down about a foot). Some of the water is being diverted past a 'barrier' back in to the lagoon so the dink bullheads, gills and gold fish will be fine.

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: