Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50pm - Aug 6,10 
I would like to start fishing the Chicago river downtown. I fish the Cal-Sag out of Alsip and have run east to the lake. I tried once coming up the lake but it just got to ruff even for my boat. Does anybody know what is the best way to get to that area of the river and what launch to use. Thanks much

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44pm - Aug 6,10 
Many years ago there was a boat launch at what was called Marina Towers. Might be worth checking into or someone else here may jump in. I have seen the lake turn from a sheet of glass to a real mess in as little as 15 minutes. with a small (for Lake Michigan) boat this can be DEADLY. Don't ask me how I know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49am - Aug 7,10 
Ship & Saitary Canal:
*Boat launch in Summit off Harlem. Steep Incline, narrow single lane. Park appears to be well groomed, but never been there to know about parking, fees, etc.
*Boat launch near Western. Though a CPD camera box is there, on good authority there are a lot of problems with theft/vandalism in this lot.
* I usually launch at Worth (sometimes Alsip), run the CalSag west to just past Rt83, turn at the junction where it meets the S/S, and run it into the river. Been told that no-wake begins at the Summit launch all the way through the locks. Also been told if you're not a nut and use your head you can still run on plane just about up to the ramp west of Western. Watch for the commercial traffic, and floating debris/trash especially for 1-2 days following heavy rains.
Another consideration is how much gas you carry on board.
*I've experienced what you did entering the Lake out of Calumet. That is common due to current and wave conditions. The closer you are to the breaks, the worse it is. But I'm a firm believer in trusting your gutt.. If it don't feel right, it probably ain't!
* Hope this helps out.. can always launch on the Lake and head back into the river via the locks. Good Luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Aug 7,10 
check out link from Don Dziedzina on Summit ramp: http://outdoors911.com/reports/showthread.php?t=2221

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Aug 8,10 
Stopped by the Summit ramp today just to look before launching. It is a great looking place. The ramp is slightly steep but not bad. They do have a grating bolted to the ramp from in the water up about 35 feet to help with traction. There is 2 sets of docks to tie you boat to after launching. The fee is 15 dollars to launch and based upon seeing the place it is worth it. They are open 7 days a week. The sign says 9-9 but a gentleman named Jim is usually there by 730 am on most days. If you have a group of boats that would like to launch earlier then that, he is willing to come in early to help launch. He also said the unofficialy the gates are normally left open at night so you can launch when you get there. I will definatly be launching here to hit the Chicago river for fishing

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:01pm - Aug 8,10 
That's a great news update fishmusky00. The park looked to be "maintained too well" be be a forgotten zone. :gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15am - Aug 12,10 
I live close to the Summit launch and it is so well mantained I bring my girl friend here and we have a picnic while we watch the boats being launched. Some are pretty funny due to the steep ramp. : )
I only wish they would let you fish there; it would be interesting to see what you'd catch.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Aug 12,10 
launched there yesterday at summit, took the ride to navy pier with my 15 footer. went thru the locks and all, headed back before nightfall,....
was a fun outing,
just know that the canal smells bad until u get till like halsted....
i cnt believe we live in 2010 and the sanitary ship canal is still in bad shape, what happened to all te companies going GREEN,

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:39am - Aug 12,10 
the smells on the canal vary.. some days not much at all, on others it is as you experienced. The hotter it is, the worse it is.
(especially near the trash processing center on the north bank). It can make for a nice day.

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: