Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:07am - Jul 7,10 
Hey fellas, I've made a couple of post as I'll be new to the area in the fall and I'm looking for some advice on what kind of motor to buy. I'm in the market for a new boat and I'm torn between buying a mud buddy or going with the traditional prop. I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both however if some of you could weigh in with local knowledge of the rivers and what kind of motors are useful then I'd really appreciate it.

I'm mainly looking to use the boat for waterfowl hunting as well as fishing. Thanks guys, I'm all ears.

Richie

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02am - Jul 7,10 
Where do you plan to hunt and what kind of fishing do you plan on doing ?
With lake michigan at your door step here we have great duck hunting and fishing out on the big water but a traditional john boat wont do it out there
i would guess the knee jerk answer would be prop motor
never seen a mud buddy that was much use out there all though i suppose it would work those things are more for swamps and back water
a prop job seems to be more applicable for around here with trim and tilt they will do almost every thing a mud buddy can do in shallow water with out tearing them selfs up and much better on open water

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Jul 7,10 
Frank, thanks for the advice. I really don't know where I'll be hunting because the only time I've been able to spend in Chicago was for an interview then right back on the plan to Alaska. I've always hunted back water sloughs, rivers and mid size lakes. I've never hunted big water. Not that I wouldn't do it but I've never had the opportunity to.
Fishing: I'll mainly be chasing the fish with a fly but once I take the old lady out it'll be just to get her on fish. I understand the big water isn't a place for a mud buddy but is there a place for one on the rivers and back water areas? As far as a boat I was looking at a 17-20'er.

Thanks,
Richie

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Aug 9,10 
There are tons of sloughs, small rivers, and backwater areas in the region.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59pm - Aug 11,10 
Dacass1, appreciate the post about the type of water in the area. What would you do if you were in my situation? I'm looking to outfit a 1751 excel shallow water series boat with a motor. Now, the question is deciding between a mud motor or an outboard.

Thanks,

Richie

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: