Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:35am - Jun 7,10 
On May 20th,Operation Pelican,as it was called went into action.Another attempt at tracking the spread of Asian carp towards Lake Michigan.Rotenone was dumped into the Calumet river just south of the T.J. Obrien locks.Many fish were recovered,thankfully none of which were asian or bighead carp.This map shows the stretch of the river that was tested.
Having grown up in the area,I find it all quite interesting.I also have fished the Calumet in this stretch,and although far from pristine,the river was producing catches of large and smallmouth,not to mention crappie and rock bass as well.In light of the tragic oil spill in the Gulf,I know this is small change,yet it hits closer to home.Following is a link to view some of the dead fish discovered.All things considered,I know whatever must be done to protect our Great Lakes,must be done!
http://www.youtube.com/user/USCGD9#p/a/u/2/DE1dL3rRdQA
I know its old news,but some may find it interesting.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:27am - Jun 7,10 
Did they track the numbers and type of fish killed?? I cannot tell from the various videos if there were anything but common carp, goldfish, shad and gobies killed. It would have been interesting to have an idea of the biological diversity of the fish killed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42am - Jun 7,10 
Unfortunately,not all fish were rough fish.On a good note however,some electroshocking was done prior to dumping the poison,in an attempt to save some gamefish.
Here's some that didn't make it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:02am - Jun 8,10 
I am not surprised by the mix of other fish. I always thought these urban waterways were way underestimated in terms of the variety of fish available. Glad to hear they tried to salvage some of the other fish before they put in the poison. These fish all look pretty healthy which speaks well of the water quality. It will be interesting to see how fast this section of the river recovers from the fish kill. Nature fills a vacuum pretty fast.
Thanks so much for keeping on top of this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28pm - Jun 9,10 
i live a few minutes from the affected area. i never fished that area but gave it some thought. it is sad to see such nice fish dead. i heard from a few fellas this area was, or is just recovering form the dumps from the 80s. oh well hopefully the dnr will stock some of the same fish back

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: