Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59pm - Jan 20,04 
Hello all,
Just writing to introduce myself to the board. Met one of your supporters at the Rosemont OD show. Very nice site you all got here. I will certainly be writing in often to ask for info. Specifically, I will be looking for info re. downtown smallmouth. I am a shore fisherman until the boat comes along, so I am very curious to know if there is somewhere a non-boater can fish for smallies. Of course I don't expect any top-secret information, but some general information that I can investigate before spring would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02am - Jan 21,04 
Welcome to Chitown Dan!
If it's shoreline Smallies your lookin' for you'd be well advised to check out the wall at Northerly Island (f.k.a. Meigs Field) there are a few spots along the wall that produce some sweet fish each spring, that should get you started until you can hook up with some of our boating buddies, we have plenty of guys on this site lookin for someone to share a day on the water from time to time...seek and ye shall find.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46am - Jan 21,04 
Welcome D, While fishing tournaments I've seen some guys catching them from shore at the State Line Generating Plant discharge with those mini crawfish on a splitshot. Problem is, I don't know how to get there on foot, only by boat, so maybe someone can jump in and tell D how to get there on foot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Jan 21,04 
I'll be a little more specific...I've seen many Bass(mostly Largemouth) in the back channel @ Belmont in the spring & summer months...You can legaly fish that channel from shore on the west side of of the channel...But you'd probably do better on the east side of it...But that's where all the boats dock so there's no access there...I've seen many people trying to catch those bass & they all seem to have no luck...
I'm guessing people with better skills @ bass could coax a few into biteing...I never target these fish so have @ it...I'm mainly fishing for Salmon,Perch & Cat's...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - Jan 21,04 
Quote:
I will be looking for info re. downtown smallmouth.

Hey D, if I'm not mistaken the City of Chicago/Park District prints out a brochure with layouts of all the Chicago Area Harbors. In these diagrams of each harbor, they show you areas designated for shore fishing. Last time I picked up one of these brochures was last spring at Burham Harbor's front desk. If your not familar with all the Harbors, this brochure will help.

Come Spring you'll see a lot more bass reports on the "Bass" page. If you have time, scroll down on the "Bass" page and check out some old reports. Mostly from boats :boat , but you'll pickup some techniques being used. :winker

You want to see some pictures of the smallies Lake Michigan produces, go into "Chicagoland Bass" at the top of the screen and check out the "Member Photos"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33pm - Jan 22,04 
Deer Slayer,
What is the back channel at Belmont (harbor, right)
Thnx
-D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41am - Jan 23,04 
danielm60660 wrote:
Deer Slayer,
What is the back channel at Belmont (harbor, right)
Thnx
-D

Right the harbor..It's goes from the harbor masters office north to around the totem pole..

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: