Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Aug 9,17 
I finally got two good days in out of the 4 days I went searching for them. The thing I missed about these fish is that they are suspended high in the water column and bite very very light, you almost have to have a finesse approach. The bait and technique I found to work best was an very small/ light jig with a 2 1/2in smelt color gulp minnow. I would cast out near structure, let my jig sink for about 5 sec and then slowly pop it and reel every few seconds, which produced large mouth, catfish,bluegills, white bass and of course crappies. I'd also like to add the the best times I've been out there were from 3 am too 6 am... the crappies seemed to be very turned on at those times and slowly died down as day approached. Alot of fish I got were from the 9 inch range all the way up to about 14 inches being my biggest.... I must say that river is one hell of a fishery that no one really knows or cares about.... leaving it for the few who do :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Aug 10,17 
Chicago river? North or south? I do t want exact locations but you are right about guys not knowing the opportunity. That is quite a menu of fish with14 inch crappie....I want some.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24pm - Aug 10,17 
I was by the state street bridge

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Aug 11,17 
How was it down there so early? I've run into enough unsavory inhabitants down there to avoid quiet times.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:18pm - Aug 11,17 
agreed, hopefully you weren't fishing alone. not always a bad crowd, but sometimes it's the wrong place/time to be along the river.

Good job on finding the fish though, haven't fished it in a month or so, but rarely go without finding some fun fish to catch!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:58pm - Aug 11,17 
Yepper.....be careful out there lil broski...I've seen u out plenty of times on Montrose and lots times u a one man army be safe on the river area especially at those hours....I don't want t c u on the channel seven news.... watching all those criminal mind shows got me paranoid :winker ....b good..later mike :usm

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32am - Aug 12,17 
Hey guys thanks for the concern... I agree with you about all the crazies on the river walk as I did see people drinking etc... Thankfully I was on the other side in nice spot with security that would check on me every so often. Definitely thought that out before haha

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:01am - Aug 13,17 
harborman00 wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the concern... I agree with you about all the crazies on the river walk as I did see people drinking etc... Thankfully I was on the other side in nice spot with security that would check on me every so often. Definitely thought that out before haha

I'd be concerned about the homeless guys....some of them are armed with knives and I remember one of them was picked up for some crime and he wound up being an old gang banger freshly released from prison.....

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: