Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Mar 27,20 
:shock
Looking at the long picture .
Just got this in a e-mail .

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/2835827

Nobody is fishing , sooooo , think about how big those fish are going to get . The numbers of big , unfished , fish . They will be in deeper water therefore getting rid of all the small boat fishers . Nothing against them they just can not mount the hardware needed to get to deep water fish , I.E. downriggers that can handle a 12 to 15 pound ball . Deep water sailors only :helloooooo . This could turn out to be a year of book breaking fish .

Captain Bill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Mar 27,20 
Captain Bill,

I’m not sure how serious your post was intended to be but you may want to get additional resources for information, people have been and will continue to fish through the duration of this virus.

Also, on the small boat note, I and many others run small aluminum and fiberglass boats and fish throughout the season shallow and deep water with the same “hardware” as 30’ boats.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 10:41am - Mar 27,20 
How does less pressure/ harvest = bigger fish? Why does this mean they will be deeper? Not sure what your referring to as a small boat, but small boats have nmbeen in 200-300 FOW in recent years to chase the spring coho. Not sure I follow your train of thought.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:12am - Mar 27,20 
In Chi town , at the very beginning of the season lots of small boats fish Chicago light area 16 to 18 ft. inland lake boats . No ship to shore . Gunnels not strong enough to hold a down rigger . They sport removable plastic rod holders . You do not see them after the fish move to the middle of the Lilly pads { 2 and 1/2 miles from shore for you landlovers } .
I also have fished deep water in a small boat , young , could not die kinda boat , but it had bilge pump , ship to shore and at that time top of the line loran . 16 ft. Johnson reveler , tri hull { ate a lot of water with that boat } Back board had 4 down riggers , room for 4 dipsies and 4 flat lines . So yes , when rigged right any boat can make deep water , was only talking about those who are not .

Now to ….
will continue to fish through the duration of this virus.

At $500.00 dollars a ticket I think not .

And ….

Now to ...How does less pressure/ harvest = bigger fish? Really , OK well , you see they have more time to eat and therefore when we are allowed to fish they will be bigger . You forgot to add that I said more and bigger . There will be more fish because they will have been fished less and if the shore water warms up then not at all by powerliners . I caught a lot of fish when I powerlined and was thinking of doing it this weekend till the parks got closed .

I await more questions . :thanks

Captain Bill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:17am - Mar 27,20 
Did you start drinking early today? :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21am - Mar 27,20 
OK, Mich. has cancelled guides & charters.. My question is, can I go out in my boat alone & fish and if yes where in Mich. or Illinois will I be allowed to go and where can I launch my boat? I was thinking about going around here ( N. Illinois ) or maybe heading up to the Ludington area. Thoughts???

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31am - Mar 27,20 
There is a lot of extremely misinformed people right now, spewing a lot of biased and incorrect information on many things.

Really kind of sad.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32am - Mar 27,20 
From what it said , only Pro business are closed as of now . Ludington is a Great place . Have a great deer hunting guy there , PM me if you want info on a great hunt . If you buy non-res. deer hunting lic. for 2 deer they include all fishing and small game . So no extra non-res. fishing lic. or stamp.
Go to my closed open post and becky for dockwa has s site on what is open and what is closed around the whole lake marina wise .
You would have to call the city area where you would want to shore fish if that is an option for you and find out if the lake front is open in that area .
Follow the rules PLEASE .

As to ….
Did you start drinking early today?

Do not drink ……….. anymore

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Mar 27,20 
Windy City wrote:
There is a lot of extremely misinformed people right now, spewing a lot of biased and incorrect information on many things.

Really kind of sad.

Which would be why I posted on the Open /Closed harbors post the web site from Dockwa with a link to what really is open and what really is closed .
I say just stay home . Still will be plenty of time to go fishing .

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:53am - Mar 27,20 
Wow.

Last year was a record year for large Kings (average size caught, not quantity caught), why? Because they stocked significantly fewer Kings in recent years, leaving less competition for food. Those fish ate well.

Yes, there may be more salmon in the lake this year when the 'all clear' is given, but I expect the average size will be down because there will be more competition for food.

Oh, and on any given day trolling in 200+ FOW count the number of sub-twenty foot boats within eye sight vs over twenty footers....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:24pm - Mar 27,20 
I fish out of a a 17 and a half foot boat. And caught tons of fish in plus 300 ft. Water. And also seen smaller boats than mine fishing out there also. We also caught many fish in 40 to 60 feet of water. Just because you fish in deep water doesn’t mean the fish are deep. I used down riggers also, but if I run them deep I usually catch Lake Trout. (Not my favorite fish) Also catch a lot of Steelhead out there in the top 6 ft. Of water. You definitely don’t have to fish deep just because you are on deeper water. The fish are out there for two reasons: cooler water and plenty of bait fish. As long as I continue to catch fish there is no reason to change my mind.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:27pm - Mar 27,20 
Was it less stocking or wild Kings from up north ? Secret nurturing of the fish thus 6 and 7 year class fish ? Did fish from the U.P. go to WIS. and eat the cheddar cheese and Sheboygan brats and decide to stay ? We may never know .

Oh, and on any given day trolling in 200+ FOW count the number of sub-twenty foot boats within eye sight . Very few .
And out at the Flemish Cap , 0 .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Mar 27,20 
Bill1 ... I never met u. I don't understand how others cant interpret your info. the comments u make are true. I been on a lot of fishing trips to deep water. u never see the guy with the panfish 16 tracker 5 miles out but he is hugging the wall at inland every day taking a limit of cohos for 3 weeks straight. you never see the guy with his 14 ft john boat with plastic rod holders, sitting on a boat cushion flat lining catching spring cohos outside the ditch at the gong. Your statements speak for themselves.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Mar 29,20 
bill1 wrote:
Was it less stocking or wild Kings from up north ? Secret nurturing of the fish thus 6 and 7 year class fish ?

6 and 7 year old Kings???

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:04pm - Mar 29,20 
team danjer wrote:
OK, Mich. has cancelled guides & charters.. My question is, can I go out in my boat alone & fish and if yes where in Mich. or Illinois will I be allowed to go and where can I launch my boat? I was thinking about going around here ( N. Illinois ) or maybe heading up to the Ludington area. Thoughts???

My kids who go to school in Grand Rapids have been shore fishing and fishing out of their 12 foot Gamefisher on lakes and rivers in Michigan. They have been licence and bag checked by Michigan game wardens, so I assume for now, you are good to go. Walleye are now closed on the Grand River, but they have been getting good numbers of steelhead. Northern have been active too.

Keep social distance and I think you'll be OK.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:39pm - Mar 29,20 
rodm wrote:
bill1 wrote:
Was it less stocking or wild Kings from up north ? Secret nurturing of the fish thus 6 and 7 year class fish ?

Bill1

I'd also like to hear your 6 to 7 year old Kings explanation. I've spoken to many experts in the field over the years, and this is the first I've heard they can live that long. Was this derived from you being a Master of Great Lakes? If so, could you explain the criteria of that moniker?

Thanks

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39am - Mar 30,20 
Tom wrote:
rodm wrote:
bill1 wrote:

Bill1

I'd also like to hear your 6 to 7 year old Kings explanation. I've spoken to many experts in the field over the years, and this is the first I've heard they can live that long. Was this derived from you being a Master of Great Lakes? If so, could you explain the criteria of that moniker?

Thanks

Master Of Great Lakes is something you must earn and if you have to ask then you have a lot to learn . If you wish to learn the Captain suggests you contact the United States Coast Guard . They will answer your question .Bye the bye , My Masters also says Merchant Marine Officer .

Now as to the fish living longer , it was theorized , that if you make a King sterile , meaning it will not / can not breed , that the fish would then live longer thus getting bigger . Now, did they ever do it ? Some say yes , some say no . Were any bigger fish seen at the time of this rumor ? No , but we did see fish with big heads and small bodies { kings were the only fish that had this }
It was meant as a joke .
Let me know if you need someone to explain to you what a joke is . :bigyuck :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34am - Apr 1,20 
think about this too. Now that the lakefront is closed in Chicago that gives the cohos another chance to get bigger and get to the deeper water. No shore fisherman and power liners. Same with the smelt. The smelt get another year to get bigger in Chicagoland.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: