Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:57am - Mar 17,20 
Are P-nut flies = to Mini flies? Are 2" Flies = to Coho Candy? Also can anyone report on results of the pink P-nut flies and the Orange/Gold 2" Flies. Just trying to understand the reports. Thanks for Clarifying.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:07pm - Mar 17,20 
Peanut flys are small trebles where the fly material is tied directly to the hook and only extends to about the length of the hook.
2" fly is just that. 2 Inches of fly material and typically in front of the hook like a normal fly but sometimes attached to the hook like a peanut fly. Typically 2" flys are used as the peanut flys start to turn off later in the spring.
Coho Candy is a color. There are TONS of colors.
No idea what Mini Flys are

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:23pm - Mar 17,20 
I'll only add, peanut flies (due to their small sized trebles) will begin losing you fish as the cohos grow towards the end of spring- that's when we switch to the next size up (2") for their larger hooks. Last year I had a few screamers ripping out drag like crazy early in the spring (likely kings) but they came unbuttoned very shortly after beginning to gently work them in towards the boat- the small peanut fly trebles just won't do it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Mar 17,20 
Storm Warning's info is spot on. I can add only a couple minor things:

Coho Candy was also a "model" of fly made by Sigg's Rigs, when he was in business. This was his version of the "P-nut" fly, ie. tied directly onto a treble hook. This distinguished them from the full-sized 4" "Trophy" flies he also made. They came in a rainbow of colors.

When most guys refer to a 2" fly, they are referring to a "slider" type fly (not tied to a hook) where the leader runs thru the tube that the tinsel is tied to and the hook is separate. These are just 4" flies, cut in half.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: