Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Feb 25,20 
https://www.ifishillinois.org/lmich/LMN ... QTHq_MpWto

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24am - Feb 26,20 
Alewife abundance is low yet stocking is increased? How's that work?

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:22am - Feb 26,20 
JoePav wrote:

Yup. You can thank our neighbors to the north for the increased stockings. I sure hope they are right but I really feel like they are dead wrong and the greed of a few will ruin it for many.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Feb 26,20 
Need to pay attention to this part.

"Increased stocking was considered by managers after favorable results were obtained from the most recent Predator-Prey Ratio estimate of Chinook Salmon and Alewife biomass."

What I take from that is they're essentially saying that while alewives are down, the predator-prey ratio is still at a point where increasing stocking of salmon/trout is ok for the system. The current population of alewives can support the increased stocking.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Feb 26,20 
I hope it works as well. Overall, I feel the past few years with the decreased stocking have been good.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:56pm - Feb 26,20 
Storm Warning wrote:
JoePav wrote:

Yup. You can thank our neighbors to the north for the increased stockings. I sure hope they are right but I really feel like they are dead wrong and the greed of a few will ruin it for many.

^^^^ This!!! The lake has a really good thing going right now. Giant fish being caught all year round. Not is not the time to increase stocking. Let the prey levels rebound more before introducing more predators

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:05pm - Feb 26,20 
King's are eatin machines, 100% of their diet is alewives. 75% of Kings caught are of wild stock. They enter the many streams & rivers in Michigan & Canada to spawn. Fish managers North and South don't really have a clue how much wild stock (YOY) returns to the lake each year ... End of the rant

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 07:13pm - Feb 26,20 
TroutMouth06 wrote:
Storm Warning wrote:
JoePav wrote:

^^^^ This!!! The lake has a really good thing going right now. Giant fish being caught all year round. Not is not the time to increase stocking. Let the prey levels rebound more before introducing more predators

'
Error on the side of Caution.

People see the bait on their sonars and see giant bait balls that go on for hundreds of yards. My feeling is there are a few reasons for this. First the equipment now and what was used in the past is night and day so they easily mark more then they would have in the past. Second our water is clearer then ever so it seems likely that the bait balls are not hundreds of yards long but instead are just swimming under the boat for protection like they do out in the deep blue sea. Third with the rains and water level rising there is tons of stuff being washed into the lake much of which can feed the bait but what happens when the rains stop. Lastly just because we are seeing the bait doesn't mean it is To Much bait. We should be seeing bait. If there was to much bait we would be seeing massive die offs wash up on the shores and we have seen none of that. Who's to say what we are seeing is even enough to keep a balance of the current stocking let alone a increase in stocking.

Problem is the captains of door county make their living on Kings. Their long time customers don't want to go for anything But kings and really they don't have a diverse fishery like we do on the south end so many are throwing in the towel. It really sucks for them but to possible ruin the entire lake for the sake of a handful of captains with a loud voice just seems insane.

Somehow they are acting like what happened to Lake Huron never happened because they care about their pocket books.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18am - Feb 27,20 
Thinking things thru is something that , it seems , Great Lake managers do not do .
Just to pick one point .
Feeding the bait . Fish bodies , guts , carcasses … parts left over from cleaning , are not allowed to be put back into the lake . They are suppose to go to grinding stations .
How many metric tons of food have we taken away from the bait with this practice ?
The body parts are part of the food chain , we take that away . STUPID .

Captain Bill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10am - Feb 28,20 
bill1 wrote:
Thinking things thru is something that , it seems , Great Lake managers do not do .
Just to pick one point .
Feeding the bait . Fish bodies , guts , carcasses … parts left over from cleaning , are not allowed to be put back into the lake . They are suppose to go to grinding stations .
How many metric tons of food have we taken away from the bait with this practice ?
The body parts are part of the food chain , we take that away . STUPID .

Captain Bill

In the grand scheme, just a minuscule amount. Not enough to have an impact.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10am - Feb 28,20 
Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.The destruction of the donut along with the quaggas & zebras pretty much put the hurt on all species including the alewife. I believe you need about 7 different year classes to maintain a healthy spawning population. Right now I believe it's only 3. An extremely long and cold winter along with uncontrolled no's of wild kings entering the lake, ain't going to help matters ... nuff said: JMO

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:33am - Feb 28,20 
Well...not one mention of how when they originally cut the Salmon they didn't cut any Lakers, or how our friends to the north are refusing Lake Trout to offset this small increase in Kings? Nobody thinks the bait surveys could be outdated and skewed with the changes that we all know have occurred to the Lake? Is it just a coincidence that there is more bait now that the lake levels have come back up and released nutrients that have been trapped on the shores back into the lakes?

I wish our DNR had the balls to do what our friends to the north have done...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:14pm - Feb 28,20 
The stocking of Kings Door county , minimal ... majority caught are wild, coming out of Lake Huron.

https://cida.usgs.gov/wdnr/apex/f?p=wdn ... _NAME:DOOR

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: