Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:15pm - Feb 10,20 
Been using 30lb braid for years...want to switch possibly to wire..can you comment on what brand & what weight...cons and pros of wire versus braid...
Thank you
Milan

All comments welcome

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 03:35pm - Feb 10,20 
Torpedo wire I think is the easiest to work with.

Wire is a pain to deal with. Cuts off your other lines if you get a tangle. Rods cost more.

So many people are firm believers in wire but Im still not sold. People say all their biggest fish are caught on wire.

My problem is that's a unfair assessment because they are not running the same bait on the other side of the boat at the same depth using braid. I jumped on the wire bandwagon and yes it absolutely catches fish but I had nothing to compare it to as I went all wire on my deep divers. Then I had a wire rod stolen and was forced to run 1 braid and 1 wire. I didn't see a difference certainty not enough to want to have to deal with it. Maybe if all you do is king hunt up north.

95% of the people that run wire will disagree with me but I did both for probably 20 trips and didnt see a difference so take it with a grain of salt. I also dont see why a SWR works any better then just going long off a rigger ball. Again not a fair battle because the SWR is typically the deepest rod you have and fishing is slow the fish are hanging on the bottom but 99% of people with disagree with that as well.

Now if you want to thump a reef with your dipsey wire absolutely is needed but that's not because wire catches more fish its so you dont break off.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:07pm - Feb 10,20 
Nice point thank you...been running braid for some time...easy to work with...just wondering

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:18pm - Feb 10,20 
IMO at least one wire rod is a MUST if you are fishing Northern IL or WI waters for Kings. I know my boat and many others who’s boat record Kings came on wire divers paired with meat rigs. I can run the same meat rig setup and have it fishing roughly the same stretch of water and the wire will catch the bigger fish. Can’t really explain why, I can just tell you that’s my experience.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:46pm - Feb 10,20 
I think its because the wire has a distinct sound as it goes through the water that triggers fish to strike .

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:17pm - Feb 10,20 
I run 2 braid dipsy rods up to July, then I start targeting the bigger Kings with two wire rods. I'd have to agree with Willey, I think the wire has a hum that makes a difference. Like Storm Warning said, no proven data as to how or why, but those wire rods have always produced big Kings for me. One is always run with an NBK green flasher and a Sig's Rigs green Hypnotist. When something continues to be a proven producer, why question it? :dontknow

I run my wire dipsys on a 1 setting and next to my riggers to try and keep them away from the rest of the spread. I don't use roller rods, I use a 7 foot Shakespeare Tiger rod. Never had any issue with the wire in those conventional eyes. The eyes are all metal, no ceramic. The rods have to be 20 years old, at least. I run the Tekota 600 line counter reels on them. When you hook into a big King, you'll be happy you use a reel like that with a smooth drag.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45am - Feb 11,20 
Tried to google the site info to purchase siggsrigs flies...
Is this gone?
Anyone has any links?
I thought this was a local guy , but cant seem to find these flies anymore

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:00pm - Feb 11,20 
First of all, Sigg's Rigs is no longer in business, much to my dispair. Matt made a great product that caught a ton of fish on my boat.

To answer your question, I have always used Malin 7-strand wire in 39 lb test. For many years, I would run one wire diver and one braid diver, so the fish could tell me which they preferred on that day. Some days, it was wire, some days it was braid. However, over time, I noticed that the wire seemed to consistently catch bigger fish. Now that I am fishing the Salmon Unlimited tournaments, bigger fish are important, so my spread has evovled to include one wire dipsy (magnum sized) and one wire Slide diver (also mag sized).

I still have my braid diver rods on the boat (one Dipsy and one Slide Diver) for near-shore brown trout fishing, but that is all I usually use them for anymore. As an example, our wire slide diver took a 16 lb king and a 24 lb brown in the first tournament of the year last year, in less than 40' of water.

I am sold on wire divers. As for type of wire, 30 lb is the standard. I also prefer the braided wire vs the single strand; less chance of cutting off a finger! Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:54am - Feb 13,20 
We use our wire divers throughout the season -- wire will not pick up the cottonwood and water fleas as much as braid will-- plus you can get deeper with it. the old school stranded wire, but it works fine-- we use roller rods and run it on a Takota 500 LC-- with magnum dipsy. Usually we also run a braid slide diver outside the wire on each side-- sometimes current prohibits this, but it runs 75% of the time on Manipulator.

Waukegan Harbor

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: