Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34am - Feb 3,20 
Now that I'm chasing steelhead closer to home in NW Indiana, and knowing what I now know about what the steel mills have gotten caught dumping into the Little Calumet recently (cyanide, ammonia, hexavalent chromium), I question if I should even bother keeping anything to eat out of that system. I understand that whether you fish for salmon/steelhead in IL/IND/MI/WI, they all come from Lake Michigan. Granted I don't fully understand the migratory range of the fish, and if they pretty much stick to the regions/tributaries to where they were stocked, but I'd have a hard time keeping fish directly from a tributary that has had known toxic chemical spills occur. After the August 2019 fish kill there was an advisory against eating fish in that area. I assume the DNR has now signaled "all clear'? I'm still researching that one.

Just food for thought, and not necessarily for the table. In the end it's my choice.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/env ... story.html

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29am - Feb 3,20 
Chromium was recently dumped illegally in Portage too. Follow the consumption guidelines.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16am - Feb 3,20 
Only one answer to keeping these waterways clean , they need the same filtering system that they have in the Mississippi River .
That filter system has dropped the red tide problem way down . For what gets dumped in the old Miss. , stuff we do not even know about , the water is pretty clean .
It will filter out all mentioned poisons , plus is free and self sustaining .
Captain Bill

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: