Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - Jan 23,20 
I am looking to get a charter this year for coho season preferably in Illinois. Currently I have a group of 4 and none of us have ever chartered a boat before. I am looking for advice and recommendations as to time of year and most importantly company/captain. Thank you to any and all reply's.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:28am - Jan 24,20 
Tough to beat the two sponsors on the top of this page. The coho start on the south side once the ice is out. April/May out of Chicago is pretty incredible. The fish make there way up north as the water warms. May/June up in Waukegan will get you great numbers, and the fish tend to be a little bigger by that time. Mike and Scott on Manipulator (School of Fish) would be my choice at that time of the year. Let us know how you make out.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Jan 24,20 
https://stormwarningcharters.com/best-c ... -in-years/

The beginning of May, last year, was one of the best years for early season coho we’ve had in a while. Weather permitting, this year should be no different. The best part is the short run times, this means more time fishing while the coho are concentrated in the warmer water off the lakefront. No better way to catch limits of coho where you are nearly a boat length away from Navy Pier, providing a great view of the Chicago skyline throughout the whole charter.

A.J.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Jan 24,20 
Awesome thank you for the suggestions and I cant wait. One more question I have is what do you tip? Do you tip the Captain and the deckhand? Lets say the charter costs 700 do you tip 20% like a restaurant. I have no problems tipping and really dont want to screw someone because of my lack of knowledge. Thanks for any and all info!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:08pm - Jan 24,20 
In my experience 20% is a minimum unless the Captain is a total tool. You won't have that problem with Storm Warning.

50% isn't uncommon if you realize how hard a Captain and mate worked to put you on fish, and made you as comfortable as one can expect.

As a "good" customer you should go being prepared as you can be. Be ready to change plans if the weather doesn't cooperate. Typically on lake Michigan this happens more than not. Be dressed warm or cool as the weather dictates but understand a few miles off shore the temperatures are different than a few miles inshore. Always dress in layers as you can keep yourself comfortable with the time of day. Sun block, motion sickness pills (taken before getting on board) bug replant, etc.

Good luck and after you go, come back here and tell everyone how well you did!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29pm - Jan 24,20 
On all of the boats I’ve worked on, the tip gets split 50/50 between the captain and the first mate. So it doesn’t really matter who you hand the tip to, it will get distributed respectively. As for the tip amount, we compare it to a restaurant, so 15-25% gratuity. We’ve gotten more and we’ve gotten less and even stiffed on the tip in the past, but 15/25 is the norm. A lot of people that don’t get the tipping adjustment tip just off the amount of fish in the boat. In reality it’s not gonna be a hot bite every time you purchase a charter. So the best thing you can do is watch the captain and mate.... are they making changes to their spread if they aren’t hooking up, are they spending more time interacting with you than on their phones, and are they doing more than just trying to put fish in the boat to make it a memorable experience for you and the rest of the customers.

AJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51am - Jan 25,20 
Research Capt Ralph Steiger. His charter is perfect for a springtime trip for four anglers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Jan 25,20 
50% tip?? If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then it's fine to pay it, but you shouldn't feel compelled to pay even close to that in my opinion.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:28pm - Jan 25,20 
For a salmon - 6 pack charter I tell my friends to figure $20 each, more if real happy with Capt and crew. On a smaller (4 person or less) 20 - 25% of trip cost. Have tipped more on great trips and less if there was not happy with effort - attitude. Always easier to tip big when the fishing is great but it's the Capt and crew that bust their but on a slow day that I usually give the biggest tips to.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Jan 25,20 
Schellfish Charters , He fishes the south end. Capt. Bob is good . I know several people that have been HAPPY with their trips ,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady , ----0-----------------,

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:19pm - Jan 26,20 
Thank you all for the great information and suggestions, I will take it all into account and am glad this website exists. The diversity of tips here, has given me a good start and many things to consider.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: