Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Dec 27,10 
Looking to set up a boat for LM this next season and have very little knowledge on off shore fishing. What are some common poles and reels that are used? what sizes on them as well? any help would be appreciated. It is a 17 ft boat.

Thank You,

Alex and Nick(ND39)

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Dec 27,10 
I also have a smaller boat. I prefer smaller rods like 6' to 6.5'. it will give you a ton more control when the fish is near the boat. I uses just cheap rods that are medium to medium-heavy action. On my dipseys I use longer rods to get out to the side as much as possible. for my dipseys I have 2 9' rods and 2 8' rods. I often run 2 per side so I us the 8 and 9' on the same side to seperate them a bit. the rod I have a try to stick with is the shimano TDR which sells for about $30. You are going to get a lot of opinions on rods and lengths. I use stiff rods for my riggers whereas most use pretty flimsey rods so you can load them up more. I have never had much of a problem with hookups on my riggers so I will stick with a rod that helps get the fish to the boat.

For reels I have both diawa accudepth 47 and 57's. I also have penn 209's and 320gti's. I like both reels and have had good luck with both. I just buy which ever is on sale between the 2.

Welcome to the addiction. Salmonitus bites

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:19am - Dec 28,10 
Alex & Nick,

The advice I would offer on rods and reels will depend on whether you are already "hooked" on salmon fishing or not. If you just want to give it a try, then I would not recommend making a huge investment in high-end equipment. Many of us started out using our bass and walleye gear, and then added and upgraded as the sickness took hold. If you know you are in it to stay, then I would recommend buying the best stuff you can afford. The fewer times you end up "upgrading", the cheaper it is in the long run. Believe it or not, the size of the boat doesn't matter as much as you'd think. When I was first starting out, I was running a 9-rod spread out of a 17.5' boat and using alot of the same gear I still use on my 28' boat today.

The good news is you can get good rods relatively cheap. Trolling rods do not need to be super-sensitive, 68 billion modulus graphite with imported cork handles; plain old fiberglass works just fine and EVA foam handles will hold up to the rodholders better than cork. Good downrigger and/or planer board rods should be in the $25-$30 range. Some sticks I can vouch for would include Diawa Heartland and Shimano TDR. Pinnacle makes a good all-purpose rod, too. If you've got money to burn, Shimano Taloras are really nice. Length is a matter of personal preference. I like mine in the range of 7' to 9'. Some of the specialty rods can get a little pricier (roller-guide rods for wire are one example). Each apparatus has its own requirements. You'll want larger guides on rods for leadcore or copper line, since the knots are bigger. Diver rods need to be stiffer than most, to handle the pull of the divers, and long, to get separation from the boat. Downrigger rods need to have a slower action to load properly.

The bad news is that you usually get what you pay for in trolling reels. This is where quality costs money. There have been several "which reel is best" discussions on the board, so I'd recommend using the search function to do a little research. Some of the more popular reels include Shimano, Diawa, Penn and Okuma. Over the years, my boat has seen Shimano TLD2000 Charter Specials, Shimano Tekota 600LC, 700 and 800's, Diawa 47LC's, Penn 209 and 309's, and Okuma Magda DX30's. All have their good points and bad points. Depending on your budget, I can recommend any of them, except the Okuma.

Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Last edited by Runnin' Bare on 05:10pm - Dec 28,10, edited 1 time in total.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:54am - Dec 28,10 
Can you explain a little bit more about your boat? Also where do you plan to launch out of?

I have a 17fter I just purchased and set up last year for salmon fishing the big lake and launch out of North Point Harbor in Winthrop Harbor. I'd be glad to go over a few things if you would like once the weather gets a little better.

Give us a little more detail. As the others have stated, rods and reels you can mix and match but setting the boat up for optimal fishing space and efficiency is something that should be thought of as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17am - Dec 28,10 
keep shopping there is a ton of used equipment out there check out the salmon unlimited swap meets and the trading post sections of web sights like this
salmon fishing requires a lot of rods and reels
it don't have to be all new stuff and real expensive
if later you really love the sport you can upgrade the rods and reels a couple at a time
often you can get a rod with a damaged tip replace the tip and have a great rod for under 5 bucks
setting up the according to what kind of gear you end up with boat will probably have to be done
spend a little extra and set up with tracks this way you can change things up as you go with out drilling a bunch of new holes in boat
when you sell or upgrade the boat you can take all the inserts with you

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Dec 28,10 
One other thing... If you are looking for options on setting your boat up with a track system like Frank suggested, our guest speaker at the January Salmon Unlimited meeting is scheduled to be Greg Ellison, sales manager for Traxstech. Meetings are open to the public and FREE. They are always the 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Elk Grove Village VFW Hall, 400 E. Devon Ave, EGV. We start at 7:30pm and generally finish up around 9:30pm. Should be a good chance to see some of the options for setting up a boat for trolling. Good Luck.

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Dec 28,10 
We also have a guy that comes by once a month and picks up reels
he goes thru them completely for 20 bucks a reel plus parts
i bought a bunch of diawa 47h reels for 5 bucks a piece, had them rebuilt most of them ended up costing total 35ea
these are some of the best smoothest reels on my boat
i have a bunch of shamano reels that are about the same quality but cost 150 bucks and up

If any one needs some reels rebuilt drop em off
Usually will get back in 30 days or so so beat the spring rush
25 deposit required per reel

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Dec 28,10 
talk to frank martin from calumet marine.. look at all those rods and reels and downriggers he has. also look at all those awards too!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49pm - Dec 28,10 
Frank, I'll take that 15 hp Honda you have there for $4.99. Actually I am thinking about getting one for a 20' Crestliner, electric start for trolling. I'm not sure if I need the 15" or 20" shaft. I would like to get a used one with low hours if you come across one let me know!
Thanks,
nk_Jim

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07pm - Dec 31,10 
One thing I learned the hard way this year in helping set up my buddies boat for trolling LMd is not to scimp on the rod holders get good
durable holders we lost one rod reel and dipsey set up when the cheap rod holder broke .It was a humbling experience for sure hust my .02 . Learned a ton from this site and the great folks on it they have given me tons of great advise and I will always be eternally greatfull to them !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Jan 1,11 
Jim
have two good late model used honda motors one might work for you
they are both electric start with power tilt 12 amp charging systems
one short one long
stop by and check them out can save you at least 1000 over the price of a brand new one
they wont last long when the shows start
Frank

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05am - Jan 2,11 
Hi Frank,
I would stop by, but I live in Ohio. I make a few trips up that way to see family since I grew up in Waukegan. Can you tell me a little more about them? Year, tiller or remote steering, (not sure which is better for my application), I like the 12 amp charging system. And what you are asking for them.
Thanks for your time.
Jim

ps I tried to send you a private message, but it says I tried to sent it to too many people. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58am - Jan 2,11 
JIM
One is on my web site its a 2005 the 15hp
the other is a 20 not had time to list it on my web site yet

BOTH ARE TILLERS
I SOLD THE 20 TO A GUY WITH A 135 HONDA
TOLD THE GUY WHEN I SOLD HIM THE BOAT HE WOULD NOT NEED A KICKER
EVENTUALLY AFTER NOT USING IT MUCH IF ANY HE DECIDES TO TAKE IT OFF AND SELL IT
ITS A LONG SHAFT TILLER WITH POWER TILT POWER THRUST 20HP WITH 9.9 HOOD

THE OTHER WAS ON A DINGY THAT POPPED A WHOLE IN IT IN A PLACE WHERE ITS NOT REPAIRABLE
LADY THAT OWNED IT MOVED TO FLORIDA ITS A SHORT SHAFT TILLER ELECTRIC WITH POWER TILT
VERY LOW HOURS ON BOTH MOTORS

Jim when you travel this way and cross the indiana illinois state line on 90-94 you are less than a mile from us
stop by some time
not a big fancy place just friendly and knowledgable
got some neat stuff you wont find in the big box store

big or small we do them all
limited amount of good used motors available all sizes
stop by or call

for any one thats interested we can drop any these motors in to a test tank and run the snot out of them
Most all our used motors have a one year unconditional labor only warranty
you brake it. we fix it. you pay for the parts

ImageImage

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:49am - Jan 2,11 
Thanks Frank,
I'll have to plan a stop.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: