Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Dec 22,10 
hows it going guys i have a 21ft renken i am somewhat new to the salmon fishing game and can use a little help on my spread i dont want to have not enough out there but i also dont wana have to much to where i can get them tangled/
i have four big jon downriggers on the back i plan on running i was also thinkin of stackin the two riggers on the outside i have heard goods and bads on this let me know what u think i also was going to run 2 dipsys one on each side then a 10 color leadcore down the chute.
How many boards do u think i can run with out getting myself into a mess.
I know diffrent days call for diffrent things but im open to all suggestions on rod spread.
Thanks hmdangler

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:44am - Dec 22,10 
hmdangler,

The answer to your question will depend on what time of the year and what you are fishing for. The number of fishermen on board will also dictate how many lines you are allowed. If you are fishing shallow water for spring coho, you will want to run mostly planer boards with keel weights, your dipsies and, if you have enough people on board, shallow set rigger(s). For the mid-summer, deep-water, mixed-bag fishery, you'll want to run all your riggers, the dipsies (wire or braid) and leadcore or copper lines.

In the spring, a typical 3-man spread for me will be 6 planer boards (3 per side), 2 dipsies (1 per side) and one downrigger. The nice thing about planer boards is they are pretty easy to run without tangling. You should have no problem running 2 per side, and 3 per side shouldn't be much of a stretch. With one dipsy per side, you can set them on pretty much any setting you want (I'd recommend a "2" setting). Riggers are usually set with king baits, looking for "bonus" fish. If I have a 4-person crew, I'll add another rigger. Even when I have enough people on board, I seldom run more than 10 lines. I don't like the extra work involved with stacking riggers and, if you have 4 riggers already, I don't think it is worth it. I do run sliders, though.

For fishing deeper water for a mixed bag, I will use all 4 riggers (plus sliders on the corners), 2 or 4 dipsies and planer boards for my leadcore/copper lines. I never run anything down the chute; 99.99% of the fish you hook will eventually end up directly behind the boat. The fastest way to tangle them is to have a line running in that same slot. If you are going to run planer boards in the spring, buy good ones and use them to pull your fullcore off to the side. Keep the back of the boat clear for fighting and netting fish. The same principles apply for both scenarios with regards to planer boards; shallower lines on the outside and deeper lines closer to the boat.

One thing to remember is that tangles will happen, no matter what you do. Even the best fishermen tangle things on occasion. You can minimize the number of tangles and their impact, but they will still happen. It is part of the challenge. Also, realize that every boat fishes differently. What works for one person may not work for another. Half the fun is trying stuff and seeing what happens. Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:21am - Dec 22,10 
Jerry is right on. Because you have 4 riggers I would not stack any of them. Boards are pretty easy to run. I have run up to 4 on each side in the spring with very little problems but the fish are small and the lines are on the surface. In the spring I try and do a V shape so the outside lines are longer than the inside. Once you start fishing deeper the deepest line goes on the board closer to the boat. If you are running 5 and 10 color lead the 10 will go next to the boat and the 5 color will be outside of the 10 color. When running lead I generally run only 2 per side and sometimes 3 per side depending on how many people are on board. I often run 2 dipsys per side but you have to watch the currents. If there are heavy currents dipsys will tangle in a hurry. For dipsys I like to run 2 different color lines on each side so if you get a tangle you know what line is what. Never anything down the chute especally lead. In the spring when the fish are small and the chute line is short and can be pulled in quickly then I guess its ok but defantly not ideal. Like Jerry said you will always get some tangles. the bigger the fish get the more tangles you will get. I had kings a number of times this year swim next to the boat instead of behind and get all caught up in my dipsys.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Dec 22,10 
thanks for some of the help i think you are right obout down the chute i can see where that is going to cause a problem with landing fish.
i Have heard of running sliders but i have no idea how to do so. This year is going to be a learning year like i said earlier i am somewhat new to salmon fishing i plan on joining su indiana i know those guys have good tips and know what they are doing i have heard good things about the club.
I usually go fishing with 3 guys so the 9 rods is the key to my success also if i want to enter any tournamets usually 9 rods is the max so im tryin to get the 9 rods down. When i bought my boat he threw in alot of fishing goodies (riggers rods tackle etc). i know you guys like church boards and i know salmon fishing is expensive but i have about 12 yellow birds he gave me some new in the box some are used so i was tryin to use these but i really havent heard you guys say anything good about yellowbirds so ill see how it goes.
HTR i just want to say ive been following your posts this last year and i love your videos maybe one day well get to fish together
Any other help im open ears
also thanks runnin bare

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 05:08pm - Dec 22,10 
sliders are real easy. Drop your rigger down. Take a 5 foot leader and put a snap swivel on each end. attach one end to the lure and the other end goes around the line of the pole on the rigger. the lure will side down to where the bow in the line is which is about just over half of the way down to the ball. The hook up ratio is low because once the fish takes the lure it then has to release the rigger and slide down the line to the end where the other lure is but hey a few misses are better than no bites. I have had a day last year where the slider was my best lure in the water. even if I put other lures in the same depth only the slider was taking fish. Becarefull with tourneys because some do not allow sliders but if they do allow it its a must to run. I don't run them until the riggers get at least 40 feet deep.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33pm - Dec 22,10 
hmdangler,

There's tons of great info here...I'm pretty new as well, but feel like I have a pretty decent theoretical knowledge (meaning I haven't had a lot of opportunity to try out what I've read about) of how to run things. If you go back in the forums and read the topics started by pmjasper, you can learn a lot. I know I did. He asks good questions and gets a good discussion going. Just a tip for getting some book knowledge before hitting the water in the Spring!

-Joel

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:27pm - Dec 23,10 
I'm a big Dan Keating fan and just finished reading "Keating on Kings". Lots of good information in there and some interesting points....

It's great having 4 riggers but there are actually times when more equals less. You're running four riggers, not getting bit, you kill one rigger and the other rods start firing. Sometimes too many baits in a tight spread will actually turn fish off. In addition, different appartus will be more productive at different times. Riggers are great but incorporating dipsys into a spread is relatively cost effective and can help increase the size of you spread. Leadcores are nice but can be pricy if you add many different rods and line segments.

Also when you run less lines, say 6 lines instead of 12 you concentrate harder on those lines. You're actively watching those lines and keeping track of what's working and what is not.

In the end, four riggers are great to have. The addition of two super line dipsy rods would be easy to add and very effective. With them you can increase the width of your spread and still fish numerous depths effectively.

Stick around, continue to ask questions and you'll learn a great deal.

Best wishes.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:07am - Dec 24,10 
Here is another tip, run different color mono, like Ande pink, green and Stren clear blue, high vis. yellow, it will help in the un-tangling process. Joe.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: