Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Dec 23,10 
what size reels do you think I will need to use ? Looking at line diameters I was thinking of using 30's .How do you attach the wire to the reel ? Is there some kind of crimp connector ? I am thinking of running these either as a dipsey or suspened will deffinetly try both ways .For the dipsey's have 8'6" rods and I am changing out these braided dipseys to slide divers next year and running the wire divers/suspended riggs inside of these on a 6' rod does this seem to be a reasonable set up?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:18am - Dec 24,10 
alpha,

I have run wire on Diawa 47LC's and Tekota 600LC's. Both are a good choice. FYI, a 1000' spool of 30# test Malin braided wire will fit on a Tekota 600LC perfectly. Wire is like braid in that it will slip on the spool unless you lock it down somehow. The Tekota has a button on the arbor that you can tie the wire to (that's what I do). On reels without a stud on the arbor, you will need to lay down a few wraps of mono first, then tie the wire to the mono. The best knot I've found for this (sorry, I don't know the name of it) is:
1. Make a loose overhand knot in the end of the wire, leaving the loop open.
2. Thread the mono thru the open loop (direction does not matter), then tie a uni-knot around the standing part of the wire line.
3. Snug both knots and allow them to slide together. Do this gently, so the wire does not cut the mono.
4. Trim the tag ends.
This knot should never see the light of day, unless you are about to get spooled. I have also heard that wrapping the arbor with tape (electrical or duct) will keep the wire from slipping, but I have never tried it.

I would stay away from crimps, if you can, unless you have the proper tools to do the crimping. You can actually tie knots in the wire and they hold just fine. Just be careful not to kink the wire. This is how I tie the business end of my wire rigs:

The brass thimble is optional. Some guys will tie the loop in the end of the wire and simply half-hitch it to the snap-swivel. Again, just be careful not to kink the wire.

Your plan sounds good, as long as the 6' rod is long enough to get you outside of your downrigger(s). Also, remember that wire will eat a groove in ceramic guides, so use roller guides or, at a minimum, plain stainless steel guides. Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:21pm - Dec 27,10 
Thanks yet again Jerry one last question where can I pick up a couple ofthose thimbles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:15pm - Dec 27,10 
Alphafladge, I picked up 2' copper tube from Ace Hardware for around $3 that you can cut and bend to form the thimbles.

Good luck

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:33am - Dec 28,10 
alpha,

I actually found it at a hobby shop. The tubing is .035 ID brass. Wrap the tubing around a dowel or some other round form, to keep it from kinking. Also, remember to remove any burrs from cutting.

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: