Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Dec 1,10 
I really wanna get a lake trout, where should I launch out of ? what should I troll / cast ? And should I put some anti freeze in my bilge ? thanks guys

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Dec 1,10 
Always use AndiFreeze in the bilge this time of year.

I caught 2 lakers that were pretty good size outa waukegan in about 95fow. I think I am also going out either friday or saturday. Run a diverse spread and see what you can come up with. this time of year its always a suprise on what you hook into.

If the weather is good I am going to launch outa lloyd park (if its open) or diversey and head to R3-R4 area.

Here is a study done on spawning Lakers. it should give you some in-site on where to find them
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstre ... sequence=2

Good luck and let us know how you do.

HTR

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:12pm - Dec 1,10 
I assume your boat is on a trailer, if so, head south and dont stop until you hit key west....go fishing !

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:55am - Dec 2,10 
muskyman wrote:
I really wanna get a lake trout, where should I launch out of ? what should I troll / cast ? And should I put some anti freeze in my bilge ? thanks guys

What kind of boat do you have? I guess I really don't see the point in putting antifreeze in the bilge:

If your boat regularly takes on some water, after your bilge pumps kick on for the first time all the antifreeze is pumped out anyways.

If your boat doesn't take on water, then the bilge stays dry.

I'm definately not an expert and I'm sure others will chime in, but I'd be more worried about livewells, and making sure you drain your outboard after use.

Sorry, I don't have any advice on the lakers, other than they're closed right now in Wisconsin.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:08am - Dec 2,10 
I have an 18ft crestliner walk through with a 130hp - are most people trolling with boards or just downriggers ?

Banned

Post Posted: 07:41am - Dec 2,10 
Is dumping antifreeze in the lake legal?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46am - Dec 2,10 
Ideally if I had to fish I would go to NP. However with boat like the one you have I would stay closer to shore fishing around the "structure" for some lakers or browns. With this in mind I would recommend the South side namely the break wall at the state line or the Ditch in Portage Indiana. Specifically when there is wind advisory the break wall is universal in the since that you can always stay protected on ither side of the wall opposite the wind direction. You can get there from ither 95th street launch ramp or Hammond marina in Indiana. Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48am - Dec 2,10 
I'm not 100% sure, but I was told to use RV antifreeze its more friendly to the environment. I have to get some this week and pour some into my I/O was trying to catch some perch one last time by 95th but the weather looks cold from here on out. Looks like NP till spring. If your able to get out still, your best shot for fish are the perch!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11am - Dec 2,10 
I'm not big on perch fishing, but if you are, perch fishing can easily turn to "Perch Bonanza" similar to the "Perch Poluza" Honda Cat had last weekend. One more thing - if you troll the structures be prepare to lose some gear.
On the antifreeze subject what HTR meant I believe is to keep the antifreeze in the bilge all winter long to prevent any leftover water to damage the pump and drain it right before you launch the boat. That's exactly what I do with my inboard/outboard engine - keep the antifreeze in and drain it in a pan to be re-used again after I pull the boat out at the ramp.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:51am - Dec 2,10 
salmonalogist wrote:
On the antifreeze subject what HTR meant I believe is to keep the antifreeze in the bilge all winter long to prevent any leftover water to damage the pump and drain it right before you launch the boat.

tinyfisher wrote:

If your boat regularly takes on some water, after your bilge pumps kick on for the first time all the antifreeze is pumped out anyways.

If your boat doesn't take on water, then the bilge stays dry.

What I do is put a quarter or half gallon of RV waterline antifreeze in the bilge before each trip with the plug in. The idea is if you get water into the bilge it will mix with the antifreeze and pump the diluted antifreeze threw your bilge pump. the idea is not that the bilge pump will pump out the antifreeze its that there is some antifreeze in the pump. you can not drain the pump so it is important to have antifreeze to keep the pump from cracking. Remember a cracked line or pump from either a livewell or bilge pump can SINK your boat. Every time you put your boat in the water it is a MUST to check and see if you are taking on water before you leave the dock. every boat gets a wet bilge at one point or another so it still is necessary. I have never been on a boat that the bilge was dry. There is always moisture. Once in the water it is still possible for your lines to freeze while in the water causing your boat to sink.

Yes I know that the boat will pump antifreeze into the lake and I don't know what the law is on it but what I do know is that if it can be used for drinking water lines then I can't imagine it would harm anything in the lake. I will always put it in my bilge. Aside from protecting your boat you are protecting your life.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Dec 2,10 
If the NOAA forecast is correct you should be ok in your boat for Portage on Friday. The way the forecast reads now the weather will get better into Friday afternoon/evening. If you do go out, as you're coming up and out the ditch try to gauge the wind speed to then gauge the chop you'll encounter outside the break wall. The North winds will gather speed as they are forced/channeled between the ditch banks. So, if it's a North wind and not too windy coming up the river, you might be ok.

If the wind is big and out of the west, and you decide to turn back at the harbor mouth, be sure you make your turn early and before you get into the big rollers that will swamp you as they come in from the side.

You want South winds out of Portage for flat clear water. If you fish the reef, don't send anything you want to take home with you under 10'.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Dec 2,10 
I really like the idea of going out of pastricks : would that be any safer with the waves and are there any lakers coming out of there ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:52pm - Dec 2,10 
Pastrick might be good. There's some tackle eating structure there too. Have you considered going perching, or bringing that gear along for the ride?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Dec 2,10 
ive caught some lakers off the rocks at gary light last year it not a bad ride from pastrick depending on the waves otherwise i would try the reef in portage

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36pm - Dec 2,10 
My vote is for Portage.....it is the only place on Southern Lake Michigan where 15-20 Lake Trout in half a day is normal.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Dec 2,10 
MarknFish wrote:
I assume your boat is on a trailer, if so, head south and dont stop until you hit key west....go fishing !

I'm with Marknfish
Chicago weather for Friday 31 degrees and mostly cloudy
Key West weather for Friday 69 degrees and sunny

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:54am - Dec 3,10 
rv anti freeze is epa approved safe and will dissipate without trace in almost all environs its primary chemical is alcohol and will easily evaporate even if dumped on concrete. im not saying that its safe to drink im saying it will dissipate with no or hardly no residual left overs that will pollute water. as far as pollution to lake water is concerned the exhaust from your motor puts out far more pollution (toxic chem.) than a 1/2 gal of rv anti-freeze
dd

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: