Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:31am - Oct 29,10 
So this is the time of the year I really start getting all my questions out there.

I've been ordering some trolling fly materials for both coho's and kings and noticed that particularly for kings you keep hearing about the same standard colors (powder blues, white/pearls and greens). Obviously they work well but as I was looking over one website I noticed a rusty gold color with some brownish flecks, much like a goby. That made me wonder, does anyone out there run fly colors out of the norm with good success?

Now I realize that gobies are not a free swimming species, so salmon don't necessarily target them, but I thought that by maybe trolling a smaller gold colored flasher and fly in shallowier during the spring, I may hit a nice brown or two or perhaps a salmon hanging in shallower where golbies are present.

What do you guys think?

Banned

Post Posted: 07:36am - Oct 30,10 
I have a few gobie spoons that knocked a few last year. Never tried a fly. My best action on flies this past year was a wonderbread fly with a white dodger. That shut off by late June!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:12am - Oct 30,10 
We ran some mixed gold flies in July with not a bump, also our bright gold meat rig also didn't produce at all. But the carmel dolphin spoon ran low produced for us all year long and it's a goby colored spoon.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:27am - Oct 30,10 
Most of the time, the ones you read about in posts are the standard colors, because they work. I have a few oddballs that I like under certain circumstances, but they never seem to be the "hot"bait. They will catch one here and one there, though, so I keep running them. It is always good to keep one rod as an experiment.

For example, when the Michigan Stinger Monkey Puke spoon (red and gold) is hot, I have an old red and gold crinkle fly (not even sure who made it) that will usually be good for one or two hits. When purple spoons are bangin', I will swap in the Purple Hypnotist Trophy fly. It works the other way, too. If a white dodger & white fly are working, then I'm digging out the crushed ice, wonderbread or bloody nose spoons. The only time that doesn't work for me is with orange. If orange spoons are working (like on steelhead), I will add more orange spoons, or add blue or black flies, because I have NEVER caught a fish on an orange fly! Good Luck!

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:14pm - Oct 30,10 
i would tie a few and get them wet
2 years ago i caught 2 kings one day full of goby just after ice out on crawdad patern deep divers and the big fat browns love gobys to
gold count downs also produce browns in the spring

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Oct 31,10 
gobies come in lots of colors, black, brown, olive, tan to basicly white. I saw a realy lif like gobie fly designed to run behind a dodger or flasher at cabelas fr a while. I have thought about running a tube jig behind a dodger for a gobie imitation.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Oct 31,10 
Well I just colored a few of my flashers goby color, along with some plugs. In the next few weeks I'll tie some goby flies up and give them a shot in the spring.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:12pm - Dec 12,10 
Message was edited by staff, pictures were copyrighted from another website.
Please use this sites image hosting to post pictures.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:16pm - Dec 12,10 
Hey guys,

I figured I'd show a few of the flies I've been tying. I like a bulkier profile, and really feel the addition of a large head and eyes add to the presentation. Hope you like.

Banned

Post Posted: 09:39pm - Dec 12,10 
Ill take 2! :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Dec 12,10 
nice tying job !! :goodjob

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21am - Dec 13,10 
Joel,

You want to try a bigger, bulkier fly you know where to find me. Custom colors available. :)

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: