Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05am - Jul 17,18 
With what seems like some monster sized kings in the area this year, is anybody going with heavier line than in previous years? In particular I'm wondering about braid dipsy divers. What pound braid, how many yards do you feel comfortable having on your reel and what is your preferred choice of leader line?

I was out on Sunday and had what seemed like a fish of a lifetime on. It went on an insane run to the point where I could see my backing line and was about to get spooled. He would not slow down! I thought my reel was about to start smoking lol. So I had no choice but to put my thumb on the line to slow him down. Right when I did that he snapped my line. I also heard of several other people getting broken off too over the radio. Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15am - Jul 17,18 
Dude I had a fish on the morning of the 4th of July that came unpegged with 700 feet of line out. We saw it come to the surface shortly before we lost it and it looked like Jaws. Just a really big king. I was able to land a 28 pounder last year and this fish seemed like an entirely different animal. That is not necessarily the case obciously, and I could have hooked into a 20 or 22 pounder that was filled with rage, but I have an awesome theory that I really want to believe.

I think that there are a few 35+ pound fish cruising around that are frankly too much to handle for quite of a few of the set ups that are run out in our area. No one out here wants to start running tackle that could wrangle in a tuna, so it is a balance of finding tackle that will handle our fish, but still provide a lot of fun and challenge in getting them in. Due to this, if a 35, or god forbid a 40 chomps a lure, we have no shot. It is undeniable that our Average kings have been getting bigger in the last few years. I fished several times a week from 2002 - 2012 and the biggest king we ever landed was 22 pounds. In the 6 trips I have on my new rig, we have landed a 28, 24, 21, and 20.

To answer your question though, for braid everyone that I have spoken to runs 40 or 50 and just puts as much of it as they can on. I run 40 on my dipseys as well as for backing on all of my lead so I can try to avoid getting spooled. If you are running that heavy of braid, you should never have to worry about a break off without an abrasion that you were unaware of.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:37am - Jul 17,18 
The best solution I can think of is to run less lines and be prepared to pull some if you have to and slow the boat down. I've had only 1 break off this year and I think there had to be a nick in the line I didn't catch while setting in the dark.

Most of the screamers I have lost have just popped off the line, and I feel had I slowed the boat down a bit I may have been more successful.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:49am - Jul 17,18 
TyeeII wrote:
The best solution I can think of is to run less lines and be prepared to pull some if you have to and slow the boat down. I've had only 1 break off this year and I think there had to be a nick in the line I didn't catch while setting in the dark.

Most of the screamers I have lost have just popped off the line, and I feel had I slowed the boat down a bit I may have been more successful.

Thanks for the replies- Tyee, what pound braid are you running on your dipsy rods and what pound leader from dipsy to flasher?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Jul 17,18 
My leader was 20lb flouro so that may be the issue?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:04am - Jul 17,18 
Flouro is pretty abrasion resistant, but it is also virtually clear and I don't think you will sacrifice many bites by moving to 30. If it helps ease your mind I say go for it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:45am - Jul 17,18 
JB2063 wrote:
Thanks for the replies- Tyee, what pound braid are you running on your dipsy rods and what pound leader from dipsy to flasher?

I run 50 pound power pro on my braid dipsey diver, and on my braid slide diver. I ran 30 pound for many years and never had issues if I retied regularly. 30 pound slips with slide divers too much and that's why I switched.

I run 40 pound flouro from my dipsey to my flasher. I run 40 also for my wire slide diver from the wire to the bead stop, then a 6 foot length of 20 pound flouro to the bait. I had my slide diver slipping on the 40 pound for the first time yesterday and had to spin the surgical tubing under the release 180 degrees to stop it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:04pm - Jul 17,18 
I think Tyee has the solution but I don't think many of you guys will sacrifice multiple lines for on big bite that may never come.

I only fish the Alaskan Ocean for kings and can only run one line per person. We choose to only run 2 lines even when we have up to 6 guys on board. The current limit is 1 king per person per day so we aren't really sacrificing much. I guess we are missing out on a school bite, but its pretty rare for both lines to go off at the same time.

We run 8-1/2' salmon rods with Tekotas spooled with 20# mono. Terminal tackle is a flasher with 3' of 30# fluoro and a lure or treble tipped with a firecracker.

The only issue with breaking off has been when the king gets the whole lure in his mouth and abrades the fluoro with his teeth.

Over the past 10 years we have boated a dozen 35# or better and even 2 over 50# without any issues.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Jul 17,18 
I run 50 lb Power Pro braid for Dipseys and Slide Diver. Also run 30 lb fluoro for leaders. I also back down the throttle on big strong fish. Knock on wood that I have not had any break offs this year and have boated 23 LB, 37" King and had a bigger one on (I think it was pushing 30 lb) that made it to the back of the boat and spit the hook. Like Tyeell said sometimes you may have to back off and pull lines to get the big boy in.

Thanks and good luck.
Steve

American ends in " I CAN "

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:49pm - Jul 17,18 
Same happened to me maybe 3years ago or so. 5 color lead took off and all 600’ plus braid backing never stop. Tighten my drag when I saw the the last 100’ mono backing and snapped! Never seen my whole rig including the planer board. Told the folks at Lake Michigan anglers what happened and their advice was to maneuver the boat and chase the fish. Easier I guess if there are more person onboard. Hard for me bcoz I venture out solo that time.
Now most of my reel got atleast 300yds+ 30# powerpro braid. Same as my braid diver.
Now for leader, when I saw online that many are catching 20lb+ fish around spring time, right away I switch my leader from 20# to 30# pline fluoro coated line. Told that to my friend Dan, and his advice was you will loose many bites coz of the thicker line. He was right! As to ths date, no big kings yet aboard the Wet Knots.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:11pm - Jul 17,18 
my game plan is to turn ...pull same side and chase at a 45 degree. Had success with this and a 19# king hooked in the top of the head. Ended up pulling all line and neutral to pull him off the bottom! took what felt like 20 minutes to get him to the net!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20pm - Jul 17,18 
I run 40 lb Power Pro on the dipseys but about 450 yds of 15 lb Big Game mono on the riggers. We landed a 27lb king on a rigger rod on Sunday. I do what Tyee said to do, run fewer lines, back it down. What I also do is slow circles on the fish keeping the line at about a 45 degree angle off the back of the boat. That way you can gain on them. The fish Sunday actually turned and then ran toward the bow of the boat and really made it interesting. I also usually clear lines on the inside of the circle I am turning.
It's kind of what the guys on Wicked Tuna do with a big Bluefin but I don't back down on them.
Before every trip I strip about 20 - 25 feet of line off and retie the lures and check for nicks. In fact after that king I found a nick in the fly leader so I pulled that one off and put a fresh fly/leader on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10am - Jul 18,18 
Very good chance the new state record king is caught this year!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:02pm - Jul 18,18 
30# mono.
50# braid.
Enjoy the fight and won't lose your expensive gear. There is already too much tackle at the bottom of the lake and the fish will probably die anyway.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Jul 18,18 
Sounds like you younguns never heard of a Ditch Rod
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71576&hilit=ditch+rod

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - Jul 18,18 
Chinooked: It's sounds like you spent a ton of time on the lake. Any fishing tips and reports are very welcomed. I didn't notice if you are a charter captain. If so than I understand how much time on the lake. If not you must be retired to have the time. Either way your Lake Michigan fishing experience would be helpful to a lot of us. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29am - Jul 19,18 
Bigbassgreg,

Not a charter captain, but from 2002 - 2012 I was fishing 4-5 times a week with my dad on his boat before he hung it up due to health issues, I recently purchased my own boat and am getting back into things. I do have a good amount of experience out there, but no more than many of the guys on this site. These days my job keeps me off the water Monday - Friday, so I am a weekend warrior like most everyone else. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them for you!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54am - Jul 19,18 
One thing to note - I see a lot of comments related to tightening the drag as line gets low resulting in broken line and lost fish. The amount of force it takes to pull line off the reel naturally increases as the amount of line left decreases.

Keep that in mind and fight the urge to crank down those drags and you'll land more of those big fish. It is better to throw a sharp turn and slow down the boat as a last ditch effort to gain on the fish, as opposed to cranking down the drag.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:09pm - Jul 19,18 
Just last Sunday I had an experience I never had. Had good hit on my slide diver. Felt real nice kicks in my hands and a lot of force. I was about to loosen the drag but fish got loose. Once I reeled in i was shocked seeing missing trebel hook on my spoon. I changed my trebels on most of the spoons just night before. My new trebels were Gamacatsu. Now as I understand hook broke of. The ring between spoon and hook was in place and not damaged. My braid line was 30# and leader to spoon 20#. Broken hook is still mystery for me. 20# line did not broke but hook. Did that ever happen to anyone else. This fish hit me with first light coming up in heavy fog. Was hard Sunday for most of the boats.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:51pm - Jul 19,18 
Storing of rods on my boat probably attributes to most of my break offs. If I were a charter captain or fishing tournaments, I'd probably pay more attention to the details. With minimal break offs, I don't bother with it. I run 30# Power Pro on my dipsys with snubbers, and can only remember one big steelie ever breaking me off, and that was on the initial hit. Could have been wrapped at the tip. I run 20LB Andes and Big game, and never really have had an issue with break offs. Everything I run has a 20lb Floro leader. I run the drags light, and always reduce the speed if I have a monster on. I would say we have maybe 3 line break offs a year.

I usually set my spread up so that I can make tight turns. This tells me if the fish want the presentation faster or slower. This also allows me to turn hard to chase a fish too. Having an experienced crew helps. Not only in clearing lines, but identifying the hit. A rigger hit that releases and the rod stands up and then loads, vs a release, no stand, and instant drag pull? Well that's a all hands on deck, clear rods, and concentrate on that one rod.

I normally night fish at this time of the year, and many times, lets say the norm, is more rods go off than there are fisherman on the boat. Being able to identify the hit will determine what fish should have your attention first.

Tom

Twin Fins

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: