Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Apr 11,18 
Been trying to track down a used 9.9 or 15hp kicker - remote with 25" shaft. Been trying to find a used but but it has been a real struggle trying to find one. Anyone know any for sale? Also, how many of you troll with just the kicker on Lake Michigan on a 20 to 25ft fiberglass boat?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36am - Apr 11,18 
i use a 8hp yamaha for 20' boat

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:19pm - Apr 11,18 
I use a 8 HP Yamaha T-8 on a 20 foot fiberglass and it works well. I would recommend a 15 for your boat in the event your main engine failed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Apr 11,18 
I've been running a Merc. 9.9 on a 20' Lund for a few years and it's been more than enough. I have it linked to the main with the standard prop. Nothing fancy but plenty on juice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Apr 11,18 
I used 8hp Tohatsu on a 20' keywest fiberglass boat for trolling.
2yrs ago my main motor stalled at 100fow straight east of north point, used the the 8hp to come back with 1-2ft waves, loaded gear, gas, and 3 crews and still managed crawl 8-10mph to the harbor.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:37pm - Apr 11,18 
my 20' boat worked well with a kicker. My 23' 6,000lb whaler seemed to work well but in waves over 2' didnt do well at a constant speed and hurt the fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41pm - Apr 11,18 
Craigslist. Search outboard

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:11am - Apr 12,18 
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62057&p=401888&hilit=kickers#p401888

Hookem wrote:
I asked the same question last year, endup going with Yamaha high thrust 9.9 and LOVE IT. I went XL shaft and it is perfect. Finding good bracket was a challenge but search Adventure Marine bracket and go solid (no moving parts). Any questions you have I may answer as I did all the work myself.

Pushes my 5000lbs Pursuit 235 OS up to 6 knots. You can troll for hours on 2 gal of gas. High thrust motor is designed to push large boats with modified heavy duty gearcase and huge prop. Prop on the HT kicker is as large as the one on 250. RPM curve may also be slightly different but I'm not so sure about it. With gear and passengers my boat is probably well over 6000lbs and the Yamaha does not skip a beat. I truly think you may get better results with 9.9 High Thrust than standard 20 HP outboard.

keithjab wrote:
Popeye wrote:
A 15hp would only weigh about 30-40 pounds more than a 9.9hp and for that slight difference I might opt for more HP, especially if a 9.9 is just enough to troll with.

Once you reach hull speed the curve of hp increase verus speed increase becomes flat, you don't get much more speed with more hp until you reach enough hp to get your boat on plane. A 9.9 hp on others with the same boat as we have will push it 6 to 8 mph.

If you read these, a High Thrust kicker is the most desirable. As implied in the discussions you will probably not get much more speed, ie…~ 6-8 mph. max with a 8 hp., 9.9 hp vs. a 15 or larger. A comparable non- high thrust kicker is exactly ... non high thrust, and a higher HP non-high thrust motor used as a kicker will not be any better unless it can get you on plane.

A big consideration also is voltage output. The Honda kickers put out 12 volts I believe and other brands have in the past only put out six. Big advantage if running any riggers or other equip on the kicker battery. Think the newer Yammies high thrust may have increase voltage output. Check with company.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Apr 12,18 
you can probably get away with a 20 inch shaft, depending on the mount you have and where you put it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:22pm - Apr 14,18 
Vetting, I second the 9.9hp high thrust yamaha. plenty of power for my 2018 Duckworth. The 25 inch shaft gives you extra rudder length to help with the auto pilot control..Spend the extra money and get power tilt, and the extra control box speed control is great. I paid 3400 for the motor and about 600 for the second control box. With this crappy spring down to 1.7 mph have never needed to drive when trolling. Anyway questions feel free to ask.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36am - Apr 16,18 
What does everyone recommend for a mounting bracket? Fixed or adjustable?

Last edited by vetting on 12:15pm - Apr 16,18, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 11:47am - Apr 16,18 
vetting wrote:

What does everyone recommend for a mounting bracket? Fixed or adjustable?

FIXED. Panther makes a good fixed bracket for motors up to 25hp. Many of the adjustable have stickers that say not for trailing. I have seen boats going down the road with a chain in case the kicker falls off. Its also pretty cheap to have a custom one made.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Apr 16,18 
My boat is slipped all year long and never trailered.

I went and measured my transom of the weekend and wondering if I could get away with a 20". Where I want to mount it, its around 16" from the water line to the bottom of the transom. However, we often troll in following seas and the waves can crash up another 6 inches above that.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 01:03pm - Apr 16,18 
vetting wrote:
My boat is slipped all year long and never trailered.

I went and measured my transom of the weekend and wondering if I could get away with a 20". Where I want to mount it, its around 16" from the water line to the bottom of the transom. However, we often troll in following seas and the waves can crash up another 6 inches above that.

My Point was not about specifically trailing it but rather if it cant handle bumps on the road I wouldn't feel confident with it holding a $3500 motor.

Panther seems to have the strongest adjustable bracket I have seen. Built for 260lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Marinetech-55-04 ... B0032HHSPI

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36pm - Apr 16,18 
I have a 15 hp honda on a panther mari e bracket with a remote control,custom mounted by Calumet Marine ! Pm me!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Apr 20,18 
Anyone know where to get an Adventure Marine bracket for a good price?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13am - Apr 22,18 
every boats a little different

not as simple as one might think, bracket mounting and steering all have to be considered as well as alternator out put to support electrical demands while trolling

lot easier to put it on rite in the first place than fix unforeseen problems often not. a simple equation lot of trade offs involved in the rigging

stop by the shop be happy to elaborate further

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57am - Apr 24,18 
I may need longer cables and wiring for the yami T9.9 that I purchased (it came with a 703 controls). I see that you can buy longer throttle/shift cables, but what about the wiring?

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: