Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:16am - Nov 6,17 
I fear this may be my last dance on the big pond. I couldn't even find a date! So....I went solo. Haven't run solo in a long time and haven't been out since mid August. The lake was very kind to the lone boat with light fog and calm seas. Had some trouble setting the first rigger when my new releases kept popping under pressure until I got the tension set right. :oops: Guess I should have done a better job setting them up at home. Lucky for me no one around to see that! Got the rods set and sat down for a few and though I'd call the wife and tell her I made it. Out in the middle of the lake in the fog ...alone... and its great out here...got the lake to myself :twisted: ....NO....Just the part of it being great out there!!
Then I said to my good luck charm...." if I could just catch one fish I'll be happy"........FISH ON..... I GOTTA GO!!!!" The rest of the morning I did some reeling and netting and some pictures.....and some texts to two guys back at home :twisted:
Staying to the plan I pulled line at 12:30 and as I reached the half way point back to the harbor the winds started kicking a little as to say LAST DANCE.

140 to 155 FOW straight out and a little south

5 for 6 ....... 2 kings and 3 Laker made it to the net. Kept one laker

Rigger at 100 Wonder Bread 12# kind and 10# laker
IDTD rig out 150 with a Hey Babe.. 8# king and 10# laker (First run of IDTD. in testing. top secret)
Slide diver out 150 Chicken wing small laker
Rigger at 80 Hey babe ...small king I think. popped the rigger and set the rod in the holder to flutter up pulling rods.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:27am - Nov 6,17 
Nice work, papa d! Sounds like a fine last dance. Without revealing your top secret rig, can you tell us what IDTD stands for so I don't have to rack my brain trying to figure out the acronym? If not, I understand...

Thanks for reporting!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:29am - Nov 6,17 
Atta boy!

Captain Jim Nelligan

President - Salmon Unlimited of Illinois

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Nov 6,17 
Nice job papa d! Were the floating docks still in @ the launch ramps? They are out at Kenosha but I think I can still launch without them soon as the lake stays calm for awhile.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:12am - Nov 6,17 
Yep, great Last Dance. :respect

I just happened to be at the launch when Papa came in . Those were all fatty well-fed fish. Fin Fan- yes, the ramps were still in.

Dale is a McGuyviver--- he's made some really good stuff, high quality too....You should see the Down Rigger weight he made..... put a pic up Dale.......

(PS. Tyee.... When Papa says he has a new secret rig, you have to pay attention.. don't tell him, but when he went to get his truck, my phone camera just happened to go off while looking at his rod setups..... I can be bought for a small fee though.... :winker )

Naw, just kidding Dale.. you know I wouldn't do that.... But I bet you can be bought for a burrito though?? Two?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Nov 6,17 
Fin Fan- yes, the ramps were still in.

When will they be taken out I wonder? Is there any parking space left for truck and trailer? I need to fish on the lake!
!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:30pm - Nov 6,17 
Sorry Ron...that was a very poor acronym. Stands for ...I DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY. Let me see .....how about 2CD RIG . That's better. Okay Bruce does that get me a Burrito....cause the other half of the rig was stashed away before I got in.

The new down rigger weight made from a ----------

Aluminum baseball bat. Cut and filled with lead. . Had to form the lead at the nose. Polycarbonate tail fin.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:57pm - Nov 6,17 
Thanks for posting that down rigger weight. I bet it out performs Topedo's down rigger weight. That's a creature of beauty.

I almost guessed what your IDTD stood for but I had one word wrong. Thought it was "Idiot Does Things Differently".... but I was not really sure.

Now the 2CD rig, I can't figure that one out either. I can see use using one Compact Disc for a total experience flat lining flasher that emits Salmon enticing vibes when trolling in circles, but why use two? :crazy

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:15pm - Nov 6,17 
Dale, that weight is really cool! How much does it weigh?

Thank you for filling me in on the acronym. I was starting to get a headache, lol.

Let's see...2CD...could it be a 2 color dipsey? A new version of the SMR (secret Monty rig)? Oh man...here comes the headache again!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:00pm - Nov 6,17 
TyeeII wrote:
Dale, that weight is really cool! How much does it weigh?

Let's see...2CD...could it be a 2 color dipsey? A new version of the SMR (secret Monty rig)? Oh man...here comes the headache again!

The weight is 12 pounds. About 16 ounces of lead.

I knew someone must have done something similar. Looked up the SMR. very similar. 2CD is a leader ...2 color... 107 Dipsy with a 10 ounce lead base plate tied on to 30# braid with dropper loops and large straight snaps. Same thing as Monty with out riggers wanting to get deeper. I was looking to get another rod deep late season along with the riggers. A little directional (set 1 1/2) and a lot of drop in the first 40 feet. I made a 6 ounce 82 Dipsy also but did not try it yet. Best run with at least :roll: two man crew. :roll: Although with 100 feet of line out taking 10 seconds to disconnect the dipsey was not a problem......yet.

Last edited by papa d on 03:55am - Nov 7,17, edited 3 times in total.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:14pm - Nov 6,17 
Bubbalouie wrote:
Thanks for posting that down rigger weight. I bet it out performs Topedo's down rigger weight. That's a creature of beauty.

I almost guessed what your IDTD stood for but I had one word wrong. Thought it was "Idiot Does Things Differently".... but I was not really sure.

Now the 2CD rig, I can't figure that one out either. I can see use using one Compact Disc for a total experience flat lining flasher that emits Salmon enticing vibes when trolling in circles, but why use two? :crazy

Your guess was close enough...now give me the Burrito :P

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:37pm - Nov 6,17 
finfan1 wrote:
Fin Fan- yes, the ramps were still in.

When will they be taken out I wonder? Is there any parking space left for truck and trailer? I need to fish on the lake!
!!

I parked on the road side to the west of the lot full of boats. No competition for spots. :lol:

Does anyone know how Waukegan parking and ramps for the winter. Open? Pay to launch still?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:33am - Nov 7,17 
I have heard of guys using a single S-Biner clip to attach their dipsey to a loop knot in their backer. Seems like that may be quicker and easier to remove from your 2CD rig. Just a single clip to the release arm on the dipsey and nothing on the back of the diver.

Last winter they kept a floating dock installed at Waukegan harbor so you could easily launch if it wasn't locked up with ice. No gate either, and there is parking to the north of the ramps that we used with no problems.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Nov 7,17 
That’s a great solo trip Papa D and a great report. That rigger weight was a awesome idea , does the shape cut back on blowback a lot? The shape really resembles something and I think I figured out what your top secret rig is Image :winker I was wondering how long it takes for the fish to float to the surface after it goes off :rotflmao I know what the IDTD stands for , great idea I always wanted to try fishing that way :rotflmao
I haven’t been out in a while either , glad to see you got into some. Thanks for sharing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Nov 7,17 
Very nice! Way to close out the year.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:42am - Nov 9,17 
Tony....Had two riggers down to start with.
One ball and mine. More blowback on the ball.
Ron....Need to look into that clip. Fun messing with different rigs. Limited net here...if I don't reply
having fun.
Thank for Joining In the fun guys

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Nov 9,17 
I have a new acronym or me too. I Do Interesting Original Things..... :shock

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17am - Nov 10,17 
Nice job getting out and into several fish! We were wondering who the other boat was.

Bruce - we must've just missed you. We were in I'd like to say around noon.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: